Victoria, B.C.

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by mooseontheloose, Aug 14, 2011.

1. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So despite living in B.C. for a year and a half, I never made it to Victoria (or any part of Vancouver Island). But I'll be flying home this weekend from Japan, and rather than my usual layover in Vancouver, I've decided to catch the ferry after my flight on Thursday and spend a few days in Victoria before flying out to see my family on Monday.

I'll have three full days there - Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Of course I'll probably do the usual spectrum of touristy things while there, but I'm interested in any photographic opportunities, in addition to any interesting photo exhibitions going on, that people might suggest.

I'm also willing to do a day trip out of the city, but it has to be accessible by public transportation (or possibly bicycle), as I won't be able to drive with an expired license (which, unfortunately happened while I was here in Japan).

Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rachelle:

You can buy day passes for the transit system in the gift shop on the ferries :smile:.

There are so many micro-climates in that area, that you can probably choose between about five different sorts of experiences, not to mention all the historical choices.

I'll see if any of my photographically oriented friends over there have any suggestions and pm you if I get any results.

Photo Bob here on APUG (and BWKate if she should check in) would be great local resources.

3. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just got an email from Rachelle and I have offered to be a photo guide and hang out this weekend..It's so awesome meeting fellow apug people! Looking forward to it...

4. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have fun Kate (and Rachelle!) Too bad I have commitments here in Nanaimo; I'd come and join you for a day. Three APUG dames and their cameras!! How awesome would that be??

5. Monito

Monito Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Too bad Lillian..that would be so great....next time, eh?

7. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah.. East Sooke Park...great idea...

8. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have fun. The weather here is the nicest I have seen all summer.

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let's see - mooseontheloose and BWKate out together with cameras.

Do you think the subject of IR might come up?:wink:

Hope the light is good for you.

10. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rachelle doesn't know I still have some Hie left...won't she be surprised....oh we'll be talking infrared...can't wait to meet her and hope her jet lag won't be too bad..

11. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just spent an awesome day with Rachelle...did some shooting, sight seeing in some of my fave places, and a bbq at a friend's...very enjoyable day and I got to see some of Rachelle's beautiful lith prints in person...what a treat...

12. mooseontheloose

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...Not to mention seeing many of Kate's wonderful prints as well! What an inspiration!

Victoria was beautiful...I can't believe I've waited so long to visit. Next time will definitely have to spend more time on the island.

13. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Would be great to meet a fellow Ape Hugger - not to mention a fellow Canuck and someone who has experience living in Japan (something I'd love to try sometime).

Glad the trip was fun for all concerned.

14. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've met a few and really enjoyed it..sharing a love of photography with like minded people is so inspiring and motivating....Because most apug people are"old school" with their film, cameras, and processes it can be hard to find people to share that with in your own city or town..

15. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The great thing about meeting Rachelle; Colin; was her descriptions of her travels and life in Japan...could have stayed up all night listening...

16. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ah, Victoria. Love that place and the Island, too. Spent about 6 years there back in the 80's. Hey, Rachelle, where abouts are you in Japan? I lived just south of Fukuoka City, Kyushu (Kurume city) for 12 years.

17. mooseontheloose

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Andrew - I'm in Kumamoto, just south of Kurume (as I'm sure you'll know). I go to Fukuoka quite often, either for flights or shopping, as it is a much larger and more dynamic city than Kumamoto. Haven't really explored much of Kyushu since I moved there last year, but in my previous stint in Japan I spent some time in Kagoshima and Nagasaki.

18. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Kurume is a nice little city. Plenty of temples there. Spent quite a bit of time in Kumamoto city as well. Also spent quite a bit of time photographing at Mt. Aso. Did lots of photography in Omuta, which is right close to Kumamoto border. There a some nice lovely old abandoned coal mines there. I've got some images from a show I did there on my website. Will head there next summer... oooh but don't really care for the humidy then!