View Camera Conference

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by steve simmons, Apr 27, 2004.

1. steve simmons

steve simmons Inactive

We just finished this conference and from all we've heard from the attendees and exhibitors it was a great success. The venders aall said they would come back and that they were busy and the attendees appreciated the trade show and the seminars. As always there are a few things we would do differently - a longer break for lunch, perhaps slightly larger rooms, etc.

If there are constructive comments we can always learn more.

Shold this be an annual event and where next time?

steve simmons

2. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    More time with the vendors would be good. I found I missed a few sessions just to check out the vendors. Instead of the vending area closing a 1/2 hour after the sessions, how about closing 1 hour after. Maybe give a bit more time between sessions also. It gives those who may have been in a different room a chance to get a seat in the next one. For me personally, MORE and varied sessions.

For those that didn't attend it was a great time, and very informative. If you ever have the chance to attend I recommend it.

3. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As suggested on another forum, annual meetings whose locations alternated between East Coast & West Coast. How about Asheville, NC next year?

4. steve simmons

steve simmons Inactive

I checked out Ashville but it is a very samll place and I am not sure it has a venue big enough. How about

Chicago
    Baltimore
    Wash. DC
    Springfield, MA

yes, we will alter the hours of the trade show and give a bigger lunch break

steve simmons

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't know that I'd make it to Chicago from New York, but it would be a great location. Lots of fine architectural subjects there for those who want to do some shooting between sessions or for a seminar on architectural photography, and many suitable conference venues.

Washington D.C. is pretty accessible and centrally located on the East Coast. Boston has some of the same attractions. They are both easily reached by plane and by train. Philadelphia might be another option along the same lines.

I presume you're ruling out New York, because hotels are so expensive, and perhaps because there are other photo conventions here.

6. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    maybe if it were in NYC we could all stay at David's house. :smile:

lee\c

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    "House" is a bit of an exaggeration.

8. George Losse

George Losse Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Steve,
    I've read great things about this years event. I wish it had been closer.
    Here are a quick couple of thoughts on your four suggestions for an eastern location.

Chicago - Long drive for those on the East Coast, but might get a big middle america turnout
    Baltimore - Good central location on the east coast. Lots of convention space
    Wash. DC - Rooms get pricey down in the DC area.
    Springfield, MA - Good New England location near airports and major Highways

May I also suggest the Valley Forge area outside of Philadelphia, PA. It also is not far from an international airport, just off three major highways, plenty of hotel and convention space. Its also outside the Philadelphia city limits so I don't think the labor issues are as bad.

Here is a link to the Convention and Visitors Center site:
    http://www.valleyforge.org/VfMeetingPlanners.asp

9. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you alternate years with it one side of the country then the other, it would be great. When you bring it back this way, I would like to suggest Denver or Seattle. Both are great places. Another thought would be park City Utah. It has plenty of convention area, and if it is done in the spring late enough, it would be off season and a bargin for hotel rooms. There is the Kimball art center that is more about teaching, and would have some Darkroom facilities for those would would like to do a pre or post workshop. Ok enough fo me thinking far in advance.

I like the idea of Philidelphia area. No offense David but I have horror stories of my one time in NYC and the subway.

10. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How about Albuquerque or Santa Fe?

11. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Auckland New Zealand would be great! :wink:

12. Shmoo

Shmoo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Auckland...yes-s-s-s, Precious-s-s-s-s..

Sorry, couldn't resist.

13. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

yeah! New Zealand! all we'd have to do is pay airfare; I'm sure Sean will put all 1827 registered APUGers up for a week or so!

14. Jan Pietrzak

Jan Pietrzak Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi to all,

As a presenter, I thank Steve for including me as part of the program (sorry for the slide projector) I had a great time.All the sessions were great and the trade show what can I say BEATS E-Bay any day. Kirk Gettings has it right every two years may be ok. A few Workshops on the start up side might be a good thing. Lets just take the whole week off. Two/three days of workshops three days of coconferancer on the off year do a workshop series yes thats it coconferancene year workshops the next. Steve don't hit me for that idea. But I like it.

On a diffdifferante, I had fun meeting new people and one in particular I don't know her name but she walked up to me the first day and who are you and what do you do and sat me down and got my life history in photography out of me in 5mins. We talked for lone time. I would keep seeing her from time to time a wave a smile. We talked about our commitment to photography and what we had done. She was even in the front row form my alt process talk. While I was showing some prints she was gone. I want to see how she felt about the work. And what we talked about earlier. But no. I was hopping to say good bye but did no see her. She sounds like some one really dedicated to photography I hope that she might come to the workshop that I am doing for UCSC in November.

Ok lets change topics again Steve, thanks again to of you that came THANK YOU for commincommingor Aggie if you came I would have liked to have met you.

To All
    All the best
    xoxJanxoxo

15. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Careful Jan, I have a rep to uphold, and I did manage to get a few stories all about you while perched on your knee. Oh BTW, sorry for breaking your knee. You can always share one of Michaels crutches.

16. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the conference is this time next year, I'd suggest a southeastern city (weather can be miserable up north). Charleston, Savanah, Jacksonville (plenty of available hotel rooms after their Super Bowl binge), Miami or Tampa. All are in close proximity to scenic, wildlife habitats (ocean, marsh, swamp).

17. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    ""If the conference is this time next year""

This is conference is advertised as a beinnal event so the earliest it would take place is in 2 years as I understand the meaning of beinnal.

lee\c

18. steve simmons

steve simmons Inactive

So far it has been an every other year affair. However, there is a lot of encouragement to do one next year.

steve simmons

19. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Steve, know this is separate event from the PhotoArts Santa Fe, which is a beinnal event, which if memory serves me, you are quite active in - Right?

Maybe keep the LF conference there and then alternate coast on the off years, since next year is a PhotoArts Santa Fe year, then the next LF conference would be in 2006. Just a thought, I could make a trip to Santa Fe, not the others locations at this time. Maybe there IS sufficient interest for an annual conference, plus the PhotoArts.

Just some thoughts, since you asked.

Thanks for everything and good luck which ever way you decide to go..

20. mobtown_4x5

mobtown_4x5 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Seriously, you couldn't go wrong with Baltimore-

right in the middle of the NYC/Phila/NJ/DC/VA corridor, with none of the NYC hassles, and much less pricy than DC.

Plent of convention space, and the Harbour and Ft. McHenry, Fells Point districts have major American History and photo value for those who would want to explore away from the convention.

I hope you will consider it. :smile:
    Matt

21. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jekyll Island would be a nice seaside Southeastern area. It's close to Brunswick, so if you like the stew, you're close to the source.
    Savannah is also great with it's architecture, old forts, Tybee Island for beaches, an art school with a large photography department (always seem to run into students taking pictures), and lots of good food. River Street is a must if you visit.

22. David R Munson

David R Munson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Consider this another vote for Chicago and for it to become an annual affair. I haven't made it to the conference yet, but really want to make it to one soon.

23. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Savannah, Georgia might be nice, good transportation, lots of history, plenty to see and shoot for those with some time on their hands.

24. middlecalf

middlecalf Member

Seems to me, after what was spent during this year's conference at the trade show, that many a city might be interested in having a bunch of deep pocket spenders show up for a few days. I say take bids for the best offer - works for other industries. But you may need to wait an additional year as everyone may be broke from this year!