View Camera Magazine is Late . . . Again (Sorry, bit of a rant)

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Christopher Walrath, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have really gotten into large format photography in a big way. Haven't picked up my Minoltas except to look at them in months. You know, make sure they're still there.

Anyway, I resubscribed to The View Camera Magazine after a few years lapse in February. The sucker has been two months late each issue thus far and I have yet to receive my July/August issue. I see everyone talking about their latest issue. I hope to have mine by Christmas.

Anyone else experiencing UBER-snail mail-itis on this one like I am? Or is it personal?

(Oh, I know it's not personal.) But Geez . . .

Thanks. Rant concluded unless it isn't here by Tuesday.

2. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had went into my local Barnes and Nobel and I saw it there so I picked it up. I have the Jul/August issue and I was pleased with seeing so little digital in a magazine that I just subscribed. I think it will be great. I'll let you know if I ever get a copy from them. :smile: The inside cover and first page are an ad for a Sony digital camera :sad:

3. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    it's funny, over the years the two most bitched about merchants have been Wisner and View Camera Magazine. Wisner finally died, dried up and blew away leaving VCM as the lone subject of continued wrath and derision. I feel for you buddy, but ya had to know when you signed up that part of the unlisted benefits of VCM was it's heightened sense of anticipation due to every longer waits between issues.

4. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had heard some grumblings come to mention it. But I think I will go the B&N route next year. Besides, I get to laugh derisively at the DSLR for Dummies books whilst I'm there.

5. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do they have anything to say about these delays if you try to contact them?

6. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From what I remember after Eric mentions it, don't bother. Just assume the Buddha position, some wierd lotus thingy or other, and wait.

7. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Situation normal.

8. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Eric... when did Ron Wisner die? I must have missed that bit of news. I though he was racing sailboats not too long ago.

9. slumry

slumry Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have yet to recieve the July/August edition. I tried calling on Friday, no answer and sent them an email, also no response. Normally, I don't care if it is late since it usually gets here in its own fashion, however, this time there is stuff I am am looking forward to seeing.

10. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's too bad, the last issue I recieved (May/June?) was one of the better ones I've read in quite awhile. (typos and editing notwithstanding) Lots of content, and interesting reading. I think things would look more professional if they kept their typefaces more consistent. Having taught english lit for too many years to count, I begin to suspect that someone doesn't have much to say when they start using large fonts. Another unfortunate part of this all is that my May/June password no longer works, and I would dearly like to access some articles in the subscriber section.

11. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think he meant that Mr. Wisner's business died, not the man himself.

12. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So if I want VCM I should buy it at a bookstore and skip the subscription discount?

Is it really so good that it is worth the angst?

Steve

13. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    steve,

some people love it, some people don't ..

i had a subscription for a couple of years.
    it was in the pre-spell-checker-editor days ...
    image quality wasn't always the best editing and spelling ....
    it wasn't the best either ... , but the articles were sometimes interesting.

i just got tired of the publisher and how he carried on,
    and didn't want to support that.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That says it all for me as well...the way one conducts business, well enough said about that.

16. slumry

slumry Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    After looking at recent editions of B&W (American), Photo Technique and Lenswork, it appears that VCM is the last remaining magazine that is predominately analog. Some of the British magazines maybe, but I am not sure. The others have moved to mostly digital or make it ambiguous about the “provenance” of their content which I find irksome. I will continue to subscript to VCM despite the hassle, the other magazines I will not renew. Of course, I will renew APUG, the one true Analog resource.

17. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have been subscribing to the mag since the first issue. I get a new issue every two months, or thereabouts, but usually within the time period on the cover. Close enough for me. I plan on continuing to subscribe. It is the only magazine I get, and I feel it is a good value. My latest issue arrive last week. This weekend was too full to dive into it, but I will soon.

Vaughn

18. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I received the latest issue this past Friday.

Years ago, people complained that Popular Photography arrived two months in advance of the date shown on the cover.

The cover that arrived on Friday says it's the "July/August" issue.there's nothing time sensitive about the content, so what the cover says is unimportant. The fact is that a new issue arrives regularly every two months.

19. RPippin

RPippin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too fell into the subscription pit. With the subscription you should have access to info on the web, but didn't find anything worth the frustration. Forget about contacting them. If you do get a reply, it will be terse and brief at best. I won't be subscribing again, as I find the issue at Barnes and Nobel weeks before my copy arrives in the mail. At least buying it at B&N I get to check it out to see if it is worth buying.

20. amac212

amac212 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agreed...

After 2 years of having to call EVERY other month to inquire where the current issue was, I decided that it was not wise to renew. Always nonchalant, nonapologetic and unfazed by my consistent calls - there is something very unusual about ensuring subscribers receive their issues well after distributors such as B&N. Clearly I wasn't needed nor valued.

21. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    This one of the reasons that I finally quit subscribing and purchasing VC off the newsstand. After about 15 years I just got feed up with this crap along with the poor editing. In it's heyday VC was a pretty good rag and over the past few years the B&W repros have improved but I grew ever weary of chasing my copies down. I even had to purchase copies off the news stand to make up for one I never received.

My other photo magazine subscriptions came in like clockwork so I have confidence in my postal delivery.

My 2 cents.

22. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Geez, if you can get it at B&N you're doing great.
    My local B&N or Borders hasn't had any since the November issue of 2009. I picked that up like in March or April because I wasn't seeing any more recent issues.
    And yes it was on the shelf for over four months.

23. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got mine today. I have not had time to read the articles, but the photographs do not disappoint. I'll put my curmudgeon suit back in the closet for another day and appreciate the fact that we still have a magazine that is predominantly analog and which still manages to inspire me to follow my photographic muse.

Cheers,

24. WarEaglemtn

WarEaglemtn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "it's funny, over the years the two most bitched about merchants have been Wisner and View Camera Magazine."

Steve Simmons and View Camera magazine should not be mentioned in the same company as Wisner and his shoddy service and outright taking of payments without delivering the goods.

Steve Simmons has put out his magazine faithfully for years. In the face of criticism, including mine, he continues to put it out. He addresses some criticism and lets others slide. Why he has so many problems getting competent proofreaders is one I will never understand. Being late I don't understand. But, in talking with him I know he takes responsibility and works at getting things out on time. He puts out a good magazine and I still subscribe - along with LensWork, the finest photo magazine published.

If you have problems with Steve and how he runs the magazine call or mail or email. He is open and will answer. No matter what, he is still publishing and the magazine is still worth getting. So many others have come and gone, published their own glowing reviews and tell us all what is right for everything in the universe... but View Camera Magazine is still serving the Large Format community with articles, images and ads many of us enjoy.

25. KenR

KenR Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Boy this is a tough crowd. As a longtime VCM subscriber I understand your frustration, but the magazine is worth the wait. I wonder if buying it at the newstand benefits B&N more than Viewcamera.

26. Chris Nielsen

Chris Nielsen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We don't have B&N in this country and Borders is a two hour drive from here, and it's always fingers crossed when I take my old clunker of a car on the open road whether it's going to get there and not cook itself or have some important part fall off during the trip... So hard to get this mag here.

I've also never seen it in our big magazine store, so it might be subscription for me if I want to see it at all. Assuming they will do subs to this country.