View Camera Magazine unresponsive

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews & Shows' started by jmain, Feb 3, 2009.

1. jmain

jmain Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought a subscription to View Camera Magazine on October 1st of 2008 and have yet to receive an issue. I have written emails and called them. When I called, I was told that their computer was rebooting and they would call back. They never called back. My last email asking for an explaination has not had any response. I know they publish every two months so I expect I should have at least one issue by now.

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't seen the mag at Borders or Barnes & Noble for at least that long & am hoping they haven't folded.

3. Don12x20

Don12x20 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Give them another call.
    They answer all emails (that I have sent) very promptly.

The Jan-Feb issue is online (if you subscribe for delivery, you can add this for a pittance and get an early look online).

haven't seen the hardcopy in the mailbox or and B/N or Borders, but its still early in February.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Email Andrea Miles "amiles@viewcamera.com", she's very efficient and always on the ball.

Ian

5. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sub

funny but you are not the only person with this issue going on...I renewed several months ago and was promised back issues I had missed and have since received zip zero zilch....called on monday and no return call on my status...at this point it is a moot point...mag aint that great but I have been a supporter for over 10 years...so much for loyalty!!
    Best, Peter

6. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got a Jan/Feb issue at B&N a month ago. I remember whilst subscribing about four years ago the mag was notoriously a no show at my own door then.

7. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    view camera

just to set the record straight I just received an email back from them and the issues in question will be sent out ups ground this week....email works!!
    Best, Peter

8. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Afternoon,

The November/December issue never appeared at either Border's or at Barnes & Noble stores in our area. So far, there is also no sign of the January/February issue. I also had occasion to check a Books-a-Million store in Alabama during the Thanksgiving period; no luck there either.

Re View Camera responsiveness: Last spring, well prior to the foto3 event, I cancelled my registration and sent View Camera a request for refund of the fee because, to my regret, I was unable to attend. No immediate response was forthcoming. Later in the summer, I sent two separate letters to Steve Simmons (also an e-mail to Andrea Miles, I think). So far I have received not only no refund, but no response whatsoever.

I have often purchased View Camera and have found it to be an informative and useful publication; I was actually on the verge of subscribing last summer. Recent events, I regret to say, make me very reluctant to do so.

Konical

9. HarryRosen

HarryRosen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I met Mr. Simmons a couple of years ago at PDN PhotoPlus Expo in NYC. After meeting him, I never picked up another copy of their magazine - he was rude, abrasive and overall a jerk to me, a customer who spends my hard-earned money on a magazine such as VC. He also kind of looked like a serial killer, which was scary.

I met the publisher of B&W at Photo LA a while ago - I think '02? '03? I showed him some of my work, which he liked and told me to submit. Unfortunately wasn't accepted, but he was polite about not being accepted. He was as friendly as could be. I also met the Editor of Focus last year at AIPAD. He too was very polite, though not as sociable. He was stuck in a dark hallway with everyone trying to pick up a copy of the magazine which he was selling.

I have never understood why Mr. Simmons wasn't polite to me. I was a subscriber!

I've never had a problem with any other magazine I subscribe to, which is all of them (except COLOR).

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which one? :wink:

Matt

11. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After 2 years with VC, gave up and sent my $ to LensWork! Very Happy I did, now have a nice sub to LensWork hard copy + Extended for about the same $ as VC. No regrets, though it is a shame that a magazine with the potential of VC can be run so poorly.

12. HarryRosen

HarryRosen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    simmons. i couldn't get a look at the focus editor, though he seemed to look normal enough, though pretty young to be an editor. i remember the b&w publisher was an older gentleman with a foreign accent... but man was he nice.

13. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I used to be a faithful subscriber to VC magazine, but was constantly plagued with very slow delivery (several weeks after news stand delivery) and occasionally no delivery. I emailed numerous times, with no response, and phoned their office, once even talking to Mr. Simmons, but still no improvement. So I just canceled my subscription and now occasionally buy it at the news stand. With all the info on the internet, VC mag is becoming less and less useful to me.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think Matt King means which serial killer not which editor.

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bill, you've got it right :smile:

Matt

17. HarryRosen

HarryRosen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Kind of a cross between Chucky, Freddy and Bundy.

18. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    jmain -

as others have said, give their office a call,
    i am sure they will be happy to help you.

it took a few tries
    but i stopped my subscription via telelphone ...

19. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I had a dollar for every time someone started a thread like this. Just one of the reasons I stopped subscribing.

20. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That was Henry Rasmussen. Definitely a great guy. I don't think he owns B&W anymore though.

21. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    And in other news...

The Sun rose this morning.

22. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you like the way VC is run just wait until Simmons has a photo competition.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  23. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :munch: There goes the neighborhood!

24. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    New Mathematics paper question:

Q. Two men each bought a new LF cameras from Wisner for $1,800 each, paying up front for cameras promised for delivery in 6 months. Each bought $350 worth of film from J&C. One took out a subscription to View Camera magazine and the other entered three prints in the Foto-3 competition.

How much would the two men have lost in total?

25. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bob,
    thanks is simply hilarious. well done.

26. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be happy with just a dime for every time!