Vintage Documentary: How Film Is Made

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Sparky, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, that's a great film. If you read the subtitle credits you'll see they were an APUG related effort. I think it was a Dutch member who first posted it here several years ago.

3. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ahhh - yeah.. I'd be kind of surprised if it didn't show up here at some point in the past - but I really wasn't sure how long it'd been on youtube..

4. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think it was on Youtube back then. From memory it was hosted on a website and could be downloaded in decent resolution. It'd be nice if some more industrial films like that were to emerge, perhaps from Agfa etc.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. stavrosk

stavrosk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thats a great find! Thank you!

7. Light Guru

Light Guru Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Nice thanks.

8. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was me... I made the translation, together with the help of a few others, and did the technical stuff of adding the subtitles to a copy of the original video, as kindly provided by Frank Bruinsma of the Super 8 Reversal Lab. However, the posting on YouTube was done by someone I don't know.

If you want to read a bit about the story behind the found film, you can find it here on my personal website:

http://www.boeringa.demon.nl/menu_technic_kodakfilm.htm

Marco Boeringa

9. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    AGFA "How film is made"...

There is one very similar film that is called "Zestig jaar Gevaert: van huisnijverheid tot wereldindustrie" (Gevaert later became Agfa-Gevaert and finally Agfa):

You can watch it here (please let me know if it isn't viewable outside the Netherlands!!!, I possibly have another working link), on a Dutch history TV channel site:

Zestig jaar Gevaert: van huisnijverheid tot wereldindustrie:

http://www.geschiedenis24.nl/speler.program.7082986.html

There has been a previous thread started by me, unfortunately, the link to the other APUG Lounge thread therein is dead, but the thread below contains an English text translation file I created (the original Gevaert video is in Dutch), and that you can download from the thread below:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum205/69933-gevaert-agfa-how-film-made-video-1954-a.html

Marco

10. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Marco ,

Thank you for your efforts. I clicked the link in Istanbul and it said I did not install Silverlight . I am using chrome and ie6.

Umut

11. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The other link to the Gevaert video

Sorry, Silverlight is an optional module from Microsoft, a bit like Flash I guess... You can download and install it if you run Windows:

http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/

I guess it is standard part of Windows 7...

Here is the other link to the Gevaert video, where you can watch it in Windows Media, or Real player format:
    (Please note this link will resize your browser window to a smaller format to view the video, this is normal, enlarge with the maximize button if needed)
    Other link to Gevaert video

Marco

12. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Marco ,

Everything worked flawlessly with your new link and I was able to watch it. At film , color movie excerpts are interesting and an color picture was like black , white and red and slightly brown. No other color was visible. I had been used color AGFA negative film and everything was like light blue , brown and fluorescent red. I think their taste to strong red color separation never changed. Thats why , documentary was very interesting to me.

Thank you Marco and I wish you are fine. I did not see your posts at this summer too frequently.

Best ,
    Umut