Vintage tripods.

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Incroyable, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Incroyable

Incroyable Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have used or do use vintage tripods. As in perhaps those compact ones that have the leather cases.

I was querying as I was looking at a vintage Zeiss Ikon tripod, and was also pondering if the thread would fit a standard size for a Leica or Rolleiflex twin lens.

Thank you.

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The thread should be fine (1/4" Whitworth). The little tubular-metal tripods of yesteryear are very light and portable, will probably not extend to a height of more than 1 meter and are mighty springy! In general, tripods today are vastly better (probably better light metal alloys giving more strength for less weight).

3. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've got one, maker unknown but it's "Linhof grey", extends to about 5', weighs next to nothing. I use it for the 6.5x9 and 9x12cm Voigtländer plate cameras - just to stay in character :wink:

4. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Crown wood tripod from about 100 years ago. Its legs completely detach from the camera platform and the whole works is very light and compact. It came with my 5X7 Eastman View #2, though I've never used it with that camera.