Vintage Voigtlader Bessa 6x9 folder --any good

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by JosBurke, Nov 5, 2006.

1. JosBurke

JosBurke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    see ebay item 130040021974 $CHEAP---I received this and what a gem--glass is flawless--clear as new and has the Aniastigmat Voigtar 4,5 version lens in compur shutter--shutter sounds dead on even on slowest speeds---am I in for a treat or is this camera a dog (lens) Have I wasted my $11.83 on junk or is this a heck of a bang for my 11 bucks (and change, of course!) Any tips--Original Instruction booklet enclosed as well.. BTW--it'll accept 120 film

2. Buster6X6

Buster6X6 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After a question on folders from Alex I started looking and bid on some folders for 120 film on eBay without success. To expensive and I did not know what I would get. So I decided as many on this forum to go and get my camera from Jurgen. I got my camera for $225 and better color Scopar lens shutter CLA, works so smooth. Wonderful camera. In my opinion you got a good deal and if you send camera to Jurgen he will CLA it for about $150 I think I read somewhere. Go to his web site for more info.certo6.com

Hope this helps

Greg

3. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As I recently learned, the Bessa I is highly regarded for the type of camera it is. Only the much-more expensive models with coupled range finders do any better. Run a couple rolls of film through it. I hope its a winner for you.

4. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The lens is the cheaper 3 element version. I'm sure it will produce OK pictures. I have a couple old (pre -I) Bessa cameras with the 4 element Skopar and they work better than the Voigtar I have. All depends on what you are looking for. None of these are really up to a modern camera for sharp images. But may have some special look that fits your photography. And a good lens is probably overrated.

5. matti

matti Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got one of those from my grandfather. He bought it for two kilos of butter in Germany just after the war. The lens was really hazy, so I took it apart (really easy to do on these) and cleaned it with isopropanol. Then there was much more contrast in the pictures... I kind of liked it. Maybe I should try it out some more and make some contacts with it. And use my daughters jagged scissors to cut the edges :smile: That would look exactly like the pictures in my mothers family album.

/matti

6. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I thought I'd answered this already, but my posts seems to have got lost on the way in from the oil rig. Oh well...

The Voigtar is a "cheaper 3-element lens", or in other words a "Cooke triplet". Doesn't that sound much better?
    It's actually good. Surprisingly good, especially stopped down to f:11 or f:16! Mine is on a round-the-world trip at the moment as "Travelling Camera #3". I hope to be able to develop the film soon and see what my camera has seen!

A Bessa I with Voigtar lens is both cheap enough, robust enough and most of all good enough to be worth sending out on such a trip. :smile:

7. dbltap

dbltap Member

I have a 3.5 105 Skopar that I salvaged from a Bessa that self-destructed some time ago. It took great photos at the time. I have tried to mount this lens on other makes of folders, but the distance from lens to film plane seems to be critical. Would this lens fit on a Bessa equipped with a Voigtar?
    Thanks
    Jim

8. scratchee

scratchee Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good lord people! He paid $11.83 for this camera!

I say if it takes a decent picture at all it was a good buy. Congratulations and have fun.