Visiting Chicago

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by David Brown, May 2, 2005.

1. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a business trip to Chicago next week and then staying through the weekend. Already doing the museums, Art Institute and Second City. Any photo things I should know about? Any good camera store near the Loop? (Staying near Navy Pier).

Cheers

David Brown

2. ggriffi

ggriffi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David,

You might want to check out Millennium Park. Also, there is a good view of the skyline by the Alder Planetarium. Lastly, there is Calumet Photo off of Division Street. But if you are pretty much confined to downtown try Central Camera.

http://central-camera.com/

3. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Calumet is on Goose Island - it's a bit hard to find if you aren't familiar with Chicago, and the last time I was there over a weekend it was closed Saturday and Sunday. OTOH, there is Central Photo on South Wacker - it's worth the experience to wander in there! Nothing there has changed since I lived in Chicago in 1969.

Walk around the loop - be sure to get to the Picasso sculpture at Civic Center Plaza. The Auditorium Theater and Orchestra Hall on Michigan Avenue are imposing buildings, The Michigan Avenue bridge over the Chicago River is fabulous, and if the weather is nice, that's a gorgeous place to hang out and watch the world walk by. Walk up the "million dollar mile" on North Michigan to the Water Tower (across from the Hancock Building).

If you have a rental car, drive north on Lakeshore Drive to Evanston and Winetka to the Bahia Temple. Only place like that in North America.

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Columbia's photo gallery has a current exhibition of either Friedlander or Winnogrand up now. Google search to get details. It is right on Michigan Ave at about Jackson I believe, just a few blocks south of the Art Institute.

6. Joe Symchyshyn

Joe Symchyshyn Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  7. Daniel Grenier

Daniel Grenier Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    If you have lots of money to spare, and LOVE food, make sure you go to Charlie Trotters restaurant! What a culinary experience that was! Outrageously expensive, but what a treat!

8. Joe Symchyshyn

Joe Symchyshyn Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Forgot to mention... You should try the double cheezeborger, coke, regular chips. That's the classic!

NO FRIES, Chips!
    NO PEPSI, Coke!

9. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, all!

There's Central Camera on Wabash. Is that the one?

I was planning on Orchestra Hall for a concert, but the CSO isn't playing the nights I'm there. Pity.

Cheers

David

10. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    oooh!...oooh! <pounding chest> I think I'm have-n-ah hawt-attack!
    Pass the polish saw-sage....
    :smile:

11. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's the one! They'll have pretty much everything you need. They don't necessarily have absolutely every film, but they'll help you.

12. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David,
    You might want to consider a guided boat ride on the Chicago River. You'll learn quite a bit about Chicago's history and see some really nice architecture. I live in the Chicago area, please IM me if I can help with any particulars.

Richard Wasserman

13. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's also Helix. Used to be a major player & is now downsizing. Their main store is at 310 S. Racine. On the corner of Racine & Jackson. 1 block N. of the EL stop at Racine.
    They did have saturday hours & a decent darkroom dept. It's been a while since I've been there so you may want to check their hours.
    It's Also just a couple of blocks W. of Greektown, You could have a nice lunch & pay them a visit.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2005
  14. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    god trip!

It was Friedlander! This was one block from where my meeting was, so I saw the exhibit with no problem.

Visited Central Camera. They still have a lot of analog stuff. Film, paper, chemistry. There is nothing like them in Dallas. :sad:

Did the Art Institute, although the Chagall windows were down and there was no photography up last week. All the other signature pieces were there.

Didn't see Frank Lloyd Wright's own house in Oak Park, but did tour the Robie House in Hyde Park (near the Museum of Science and the U. of Chicago).

Didn't get a cheeborger, but did have a brat. Also ate at the Berghoff, and Harry Carey's!!

Great trip in spite of lousy weather. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Cheers y'all.

David

15. jjstafford

jjstafford Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never mind the cheeborger, you gotta have a Vienna Red Hot (dog) or three. With everything, of course.