Visiting Mexico May 2007.. any locals have suggestions?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by get_me_a_gun, Oct 7, 2006.

1. get_me_a_gun

get_me_a_gun Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

Im a part of the Lowell Friends of Photography club in Lowell, Mass. We are planning to meet some students from the Lahti Institute of design (Finland) somewhere in Mexico. Does anyone living in mexico or who has been there know of any non-touristy places that still have a variety of photogenic areas to satisfy a variety of photo styles? (ie landscape, architecture, people, culture)

We dont know where we are flying in, where we are staying, none of that info is decided yet. Id appreciate the feedback! I love this site! : )

2. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm not a local, but I spent a few days in the Mexican cities of Queretaro and San Miguel de Allende. They are both full of beautiful spanish architecture. There are some mountains around San Miguel but I didnt' get up into them. There is a large American expatriate presence in San Miguel as well, but it did not strike me as "touristy."

3. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oaxaca (wa-ha-ka) is kind of tourist-y but still lovely. There is plenty to see and it is cheap to visit. I spent June 2005 there and loved it.

4. get_me_a_gun

get_me_a_gun Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks guys! Ill definitely research these spots.. would you mind sending me some photos you took there? My email is lmmphoto@hotmail.com. Id appreciate it.

Lisa

5. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

Oaxaca is a lovely city, but check on conditions before you go. There has been a lot of civil unrest there this year and unless the situation changes fairly soon I will not be returning there this winter.

But here are some snaps taken in and around Oaxaca. There is a lot of color there so even if you do only B&W you might want to consider some color work in this city.

Sandy

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2006
  6. juanito

juanito Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oaxaca is a lovely place to visit. This days It's not the time to go because we have serious poltical problems there but I hope evreything will be OK soon.
    Other very good places to visit are the state of Chiapas, and Yucatan.
    I suggest you to check this web site http://www.mexicodesconocido.com
    it's a very good site for those who want to travel in Mexico.

Juanito

7. trhull

trhull Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Patzcuaro, Janitzio, anywhere else in Michoacan

All great places to photograph, particulary the surrounding areas

8. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Looks like the Oaxaca thing is starting to move its way to Mexico City. The State Dept has issued a warning for Americans traveling in the Oaxaca areas.

lee\c