Visual design principles - books or resources?

Discussion in 'Photographic Aesthetics and Composition' started by Sim2, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Sim2

Sim2 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi there,

I am interested in finding out more about visual design principles that are associated with visual media and wondering if anyone knows or can recommend books or resources as a self-learning process.

Not looking specifically for "photo composition" books but something that addresses gestalt theory, proximity, weight etc in visuals - that could be applied to photographs as well as paintings/graphics etc.

Odd query, but the learned of APUG may be able to assist! Happy to try to clarify any queries about this request.

Thanks,
    Sim2.

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take a look at these Books on Composition which I found useful
    Perception & Imaging, second edition, Richard D. Zakin, Focal Press 0-240-80466-X
    Books on Composition, 50th Anniversary Printing, The New Version, Rudolf Arnheim, University of California Press, 978-0-520-24383-S

Steve

3. freax

freax Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have the same interest as you and have buyed the following books:

• "The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos" - Michael Freeman;
    • "The Photograph: Composition & Color Design: Composition and Color Design" - Harald Mante;
    The last is the one ! :wink: