Vivitar 365

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by rusty_tripod, Aug 8, 2004.

1. rusty_tripod

rusty_tripod Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does anyone know the guide number vor Vivitar 365 Zoom Thyristor? Not listed on Vivitar web site.
    Thanks

Rusty Tripod

2. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seeing how it's a thyristor model with a variable power output I assume you are taliking about on manual at full power. Doesn't it have a dial on it or something similar to tell you what f/stop to use? Setting the asa to 100 and multiplying the f/stop indicated by the max distance should give a close value. Of course testing is best and if you can get a good flashmeter to check it with even better.
    I hope I got that right, it's been a while since I've ever worried about such details. I usually just grab the flash meter and check things out like that.

3. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening, Rusty,

Gary's advice above is good. I just checked my 365; it looks as if the manual guide number (for feet) should be around 150-160.

Konical

4. Konical

Konical Subscriber

My post immediately above should have mentioned that the info is for E. I. 100.

Konical

5. rusty_tripod

rusty_tripod Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Gary, the only numbers on the unit refer to the angle for bounce. I wish it had a dial or reference scale. I made a note somewhere that suggested the guide number is 160. If that means f16 at 10 feet for ASA100 film, I am then trying to figure the settings for ASA 400 film. I suspect they would be a 2 stop difference, f32 at 10 feet. Unfortunately, my camera syncs at 1/60 and my 50mm. lens only goes to F16, so it may be too strong for ASA400. Any thoughts?

I have not used the flash enough to know how to work with it. I need to record my classroom for my master's project, so I have got to force myself to use it. I may have to resort to the old Vivitar 2000.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Rusty

6. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Morning, Rusty,

May I assume from your last post that you do NOT have the separate variable sensor which normally accompanies the 365 flash? If not, you are stuck with using it in manual mode. Your estimate is correct; according to the info on my sensor, your E. I. 400 guide number (for feet) should be around 320.

The 365 is a good powerful unit; I normally use mine in manual mode as a supplementary flash to bounce off a ceiling or other reflective surface.

Konical

7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ND filter should do, either for the lens or over the flash tube.

8. rusty_tripod

rusty_tripod Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nope, Konical, I do not have the variable sensor. I bought the thing on eBay and have used it manually. I tried some shots in the house yesterday that were a little overexposed. I figured to do the bounce next time to check the outcomes. It has been a reliable unit, but I have not used it enough to perfect it for my needs. Now that I have a decent amount of film, I will play around with it a little more.

I wonder if I could find a reliable sensor on eBay for a modest price. There is a website that sells the manual. Peharps, I ought to try that.

Thanks for your response. Rusty

9. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. pkerr

pkerr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of Vivitar 283's with missing sensors and found this information

http://www.hiviz.com/activities/guidebook/sensor.pdf

that shows how to hot wire a resistor accross the sensor contacts to get reduced power. I then discovered that Vivitar actually has a devide that plugs into the sensor socket to provide a calibrated version of this. VP-1 I think is the part number.

I'm assuming the 385 is a big cersion of the 285 which, I think uses the same sensor as the 283.

11. rusty_tripod

rusty_tripod Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the information. At this time I am trying to use it in manual mode. I will just have to restrict my usage with ASA 400 film. My 365 does not have a sensor hole as shown on the diagram, however.

12. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Morning,

The sensors for the 283 and 285 are not the same as the sensor unit for the 365. The 365 requires the separate sensor unit for automatic operation; the 283 and 285 have built-in sensors located on the body of the flash.

Konical

13. Howard R. Tanger

Howard R. Tanger Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Rusty Tripod:
    My copy of "Advanced Lighting Techniques with Vivitar Electronic Flash Systems", Vivitar Corp. 1978, gives the guide # as 80 at ASA 25 (160 at ASA 100). Normal 50mm lens.

Wide/ GN 70 (140 @ ASA 100), 35mm lens.
    Tele/ GN 100 (200 @ ASA 100), 105mm + lens.
    Super Wide/ GN 35 (70 @ ASA 100), 21mm lens with adapter supplied

This should help somewhat, Howard Tanger

14. photoprof

photoprof Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Published guide numbers are never right, you must create your own based on actually taking pics. The procedure is simple, Set the flash 10 ft from a target and make a series of exposures, on any film, at one stop intervals. Look at the results and pick the one you like and multiply that stop by 10 and you have a usable accurate personal guide number based on your equipment and technique. A couple helpful hints...no notes-put the stop on a card in the scene and make it large. Putting the stops (2.8, thru 11 or more) around the edge lets you put a clamp (clothes pin) pointing to the stop without having to setup cards for each exposure. Whatever you do don't use a Macbeth chart if you don't have a transmission densitomer to read the film...they're worthless visually. If the info is on the film it's more helpful.

15. aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I created a list of part numbers for the Vivitar 365 flash and for future reference I'll post it here. If anyone has the missing parts numbers please fill in what's missing.

Description Item #
    SB-5 AC Adapter 120/220 0239264
    SB-5 220v 0239375
    PC-1 12" shutter cord 0236300
    PC-31 3 ft Coiled. Shutter cord 0236388
    NC-4 Nicad Battery Pack 0239471
    AP-2 Spare Alkaline Battery holder 0239493
    Charge 60 60 minute charger for NC-4 0238360
    CC-12 12 volt charger for NC-4 0237950
    EC-1 3 meter Extension cord 0235129
    UB-1 Umbrella with Bracket 0235680
    SA-1 Sensor adapter (for bracket 35mm or 6x6) 0235886
    WFK-1 Wide Angle Filter Kit 0235842
    CB-35 25mm Bracket for Quick Release Pistol Grip 0238212
    CR-1 Cable release 023835
    CB-66 6x6 bracket for Quick Release Pistol Grip 0238223
    LVP-1 Power Pack ( Eight C batteries )
    FK-1 Filter kit
    FK-2 Filter kit
    WFK-2 Wide Angle Filter Kit
    21mm Wide angle Pannel
    Vari-Power 2
    High Voltage Adapter HVA-365

I use C size NiCad cells and a Radio Shack Charger. I have two sets so keeping a freshly charged set is easy. Right now there are good deals on eBay for C sized nicad cells.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2011