VoidoidRamone - You out there? Interesting color shot.

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by jon koss, Sep 10, 2006.

1. jon koss

jon koss Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. VoidoidRamone

VoidoidRamone Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was thinking about buying his new boor a few days ago, he has some really interesting stuff. I like that print, but there's no way I could afford it.
    -Grant

3. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I must be the wrong kind of color buff, but I wouldn't go more than $8.50 for the print, much less $850. It is a horrible print, looks like something I would get at WalMart.

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Somebody's having a laugh here - surely. It looks like a very ordinary snapshot that anyone could have taken and only a 5 x 3 inch print as well! There's much better in our galleries.

pentaxuser

5. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I smell an Egggleton-like moment...

6. smieglitz

smieglitz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Christenberry strikes me as an obsessive type, but interesting as such types can be. I recently saw his exhibit at the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington DC and was impressed. In addition to some excellent photographs, he also had some sculptures and drawings that made for a interesting perspective on the Southern US environs and his reaction to the KKK.

There seems to be quite a flirtation with time and sequences in contemporary photography - witness Christenberry and Sugimoto.

Great use of color IMO. Not knock-'em-dead, bowl-you-over, bright-and-pretty postcard stuff but very subdued and sensual nonetheless. Definitely distinctive as is Eggleston, Shore, Sternfeld, etc. If I could afford these guys, I'd buy the sofa to match the print...

To quote Goethe: "Colors are the Deeds and Afflictions of Light." I think we see both with Christenberry.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2006
  7. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those were my thoughts, exactly. Before I read Robert's and pentaxuser's posts. It seems there's at least three of us that think it's a joke.

Bob

8. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Make that 4

Honestly, this looks very much like the photographs I took of my grandfather's old barber shop years ago before I knew anything about photography other than point and shoot. Focus on the subject and put everything dead center.

9. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No Joke.

B

10. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Because the photographer had established a 'name' it has value to certain collectors. To me, it only has value if I like the image. While there may be no accounting for taste, (mine in this case :tongue: ) I just don't find that image particularly inspiring.

Bob

11. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    me too joe -

i find photography like this to be more than interesting.
    if this was framed at walmart or bed bath and beyond i'd buy it in a heartbeat, only way i'd be able to afford something like this ...

-john

12. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was certainly not questioning your taste Bob! Only pointing out that Christenberry is well respected amongst many photographers, artists and collectors. My link was pointing out that, although some may not know of his work or particularly enjoy what he does, the listing in eBay was no joke.

It is strange coincidence that while reading this thread last night, I was also watching in the background a DVD of "Walker Evans: America". Right after I posted the "no joke" link, who shows up on my TV being interviewed about Evans but Christenberry himself.

Bill

13. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They say to collect what you like, therefore I will NOT be purchasing this print or anything remotely like it.

14. digiconvert

digiconvert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Apparently the photographs
    "...often making the space as or more important than the building. He uses rich and intense colour.

(My emphasis)

Don't see that here. Still if we all liked the same stuff it would be a boring world.