Voightlander lens hood: sticky!

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Steve Mack, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Steve Mack

Steve Mack Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi, everybody,

I really like my Bessa R with the 35mm "kit" lens, but I would like to be able to add the occasional filter to it. Problem is, I can't unscrew the lens hood to add the occasional filter. It's stuck tight, and I don't want to apply so much force that I break the lens. Does anyone have suggestions how I can safely remove the lens hood without applying massive force?

Thanks to all.

With best regards,

Steve Mack

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have you tried wrapping a rubber band around the lens hood and then trying to unscrew it with the MINIMUM possible force (so that the hood doesn't distort and tighten)? Hold the hood if possible with all 4 fingers and your thumb to distribute the pressure as evenly as possible.

Regards,

David

3. KenR

KenR Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Tight lens hood

It has happened to me several times with several of the silver lenses that I own (28mm and 35mm color skopars). A rubber band wrapped around the hood has always allowed me to get the hood off and place (or remove) my filters.

4. DaveOttawa

DaveOttawa Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have CV lenses, the hoods come off if you put the cap on and and turn it.
    The rubber band shouldn't be necessary but is a good plan B just in case. BTW the filter doesn't use the hood thread in case you didn't realise and it's probably a 39mm dia.

5. mrtoml

mrtoml Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Like Dave said. If you put the lens cap on the hood it comes right off with ease.

6. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used rubberbands with great success, however for a really stubburn stuck hood or filter you might try the smallest version of a wrench that uses an adjustable piece of rubber strapping as the gripping piece. I got mine at the local Lowes hardware store. Bill Barber

7. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really like the two Voigtlander lenses I have--21/4 and 35/2.5 Skopars. But I have to admit those silly, flimsy little hoods are pretty useless and a considerable inconvenience in regular use.

8. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Generally, pinching a lens hood (applying pressure from the sides) only makes it more difficult to remove.

Try using the palm of your hand flat across the hood and see if that works. If you use the rubber bands, apply as little force as possible to the sides of the hood.

9. dxphoto

dxphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    the problem is when you squeeze the hood to unscrew, since it is so tiny, you are putting pressure on the screw thread from your fingers. The best way to do it is using a rubber cork. If you don't have one, find a mouse pad (the one for your computer, not the mice the animal) and turn it arround, it should have the rubber matterial on the back. lay your lens with the hood down on the mouse pad gentally and then turn. it should come off.