Voigtlander Folder

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by rjs003, May 29, 2004.

1. rjs003

rjs003 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a chance to purchase a Voigtlander Perkeo folder. I have read that these cameras are notorious for loose front standard mounts. If this is so, is there a fast and easy fix for this problem?

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where's Michael and Don when you need them? :D

3. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've seen no such problem with mine. In fact I've seen no problem at all with mine?

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't have that problem with my Perkeo II either. It's not really that the front standard is particularly loose on this model, but that in general the design of the front standard on most folding medium format cameras is not the most stable thing in the world. It's a bigger issue with 6x9 folder, because the bellows is longer and the lens is bigger, so there's more to support and a small movement in depressing the shutter becomes magnified by the time it reaches the lens.

5. Solinar

Solinar Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hopefully, the wobbly front standard issue on Voigtlanders was confined to the top-of-the-line Bessa II. It had a somewhat unique coupled rangefinder focusing system which moved the entire front standard to focus the lens. This was accomplished via a long arm connected to a focus adjusting knob atop of the camera. Frankly, it wasn't the most robust method to achieve unit focusing design.

The Perkeos all have front cell focusing, which is less problematic. On the Perkeo II that I have, the right hand strut must be manually locked into place after extending the front platform. Once the right strut is in the locked position, the front standard seems pretty solid.

One other note, the Color-Skopar lens is about as good as it gets with regards to a *pocketable* front cell focusing medium format folder.

6. Jennyann

Jennyann Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We have 4 Perkeos in our collection and consider them amongst the best of our folders. We have never had any problems with them and the results are good.
    If you would like to see the photos taken with our Perkeos and maybe compare them with other folders some of our Perkeo photographs are on our website at

http://www.jennyandernie.co.uk/Old Cameras/Voigtlander Perkeos.htm

Please let me know what you think and any advice or comments would be very welcome.

Jenny.