Voigtlander Prominent lens question

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by TheFlyingCamera, Mar 7, 2006.

1. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a Voigtlander Prominent with the 50 f2 lens. I was carrying it in my backpack and got bumped against a wall. The front rim of the lens got bent. Does anyone know a good repair service that could re-true the lens rim? The metal is not cracked, and the filter threads seem ok. I don't want to try and bend it back myself as I'd just put marks in it with my needle-nose pliers.

2. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SK Grimes, Marflex, any first rate shop.

Watch out if they say, "OOOH, I 've always wanted to work on one of these ! "

Ought to be a place in DC.

3. tdeming

tdeming Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've straightened out a few of these by pushing the dent out using a small wood dowel, which wont leave marks on the metal or hurt the threads --a soft wood will sink into the threads. Since the prominent lenses are pretty heavily built, you can try gently hammering out the dent by tapping the wooden dowel with a small hammer if the force from trying to push it out wont cut it. It helps a lot if you can cut out a matching semicircular wood trough to hold the lens so that you wont push the lens rim out too far.

good luck

Tim

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    There is a tool available for doing exactly this, a little screw spreader (like a sort of reverse vice) with two different diameters to suit different lenses. It's not expensive, and it works: I have one. Unfortunately I've forgotten the name of the place I bought it. Microtools, maybe?

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)