Wal-Mart for 120 send out C-41/E6

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by DanielStone, Aug 21, 2009.

1. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've looked through the threads that are recent, but I haven't been able to find something that gives me the info I'm looking for, so I'm trying to illicit your help :smile:.

Question:

Does Wal-Mart still offer 120/220 C-41(and possibly E-6) through a bring-into-the-store-and-wal mart-sends it to Fuji labs for processing?

I'm a student on a SERIOUS budget right now, but I can't keep from shooting, and 120 is what I use the most of. And my color side is really itching right now :D

I'll be running over to my local store tomorrow to ask in person, call me impatient :smile:

thanks

Dan

2. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They tell me they (Fuji) only process film with prints. I use to use them for develop (C41) only, no prints. Its to expensive for me to have them make prints that I never liked. I am in Wisconsin.

3. nuckabean

nuckabean Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I haven't taken 120 c41 in for a while but when I did last (like 6 weeks ago) the price was around $1.50 for process and print. That wasn't an error either, it's always that cheap. They don't sleeve the negs, but I've never had issues with scratches so I can't complain. 120 E6 is about $4 a roll, and they return the slides uncut and sleeved rolled up into a cardboard tube.

4. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    so they do offer 120/220 e6? hows the quality?

i prefer to shoot chromes, but for school this fall, all my local labs are too expensive for process only :sad:.

so do you know if they offer process only, without the prints?

-dan

5. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Unbelievable cheap prices compared to "rip off" UK

6. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Walmart/Fuji quoted me about $5.20 for 12x roll of 120 with the required prints. When they use to process in the store, a roll of develop only color negative was around $1.85

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FWIW, I am a former student at your particular school. I can tell you that they will provide C-41 chemicals and processing facilities, so you can do as much C-41 processing as you want yourself for the cost of your semester lab fee ($30 or so, and this also includes as much Kreonite use as you have time for). They have a stainless sink for a water bath, a water temperature control valve, a color thermometer, etc. I'd take advantage of it. Take Martin. She is not only the best teacher there (BY FAR), but she is also the department head (she got this spot after I left), the most intelligent one, the most funny one, the only one who takes her job (that is TEACHING) seriously, and on top of it all, she is the only one that mixes Kodak brand chemicals for her classes. The others use Arista kits, or other cheesy kits that use blix.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
  8. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    My bad. In my town, I should pay about 8 times more for the same service; Even if I go to the cheapest place for processing I have to pay about 8$.
    I almost fell off the chair when I seen the prices. :surprised:
    Daniel. If Walmart sends out C41, do they send E6 too? I think that I've heard abut it in flickr and such. Well, I live overseas and never seen a walmart.

9. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    fuji sends everything but 35mm/c41 to dwaynes.
    it is a 2 weeks service ...

10. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They still do 120/220 @ Walmart, I've sent out C41 through them recently. It's crazy cheap, between $1.50 - $2/roll for either 120 or 220. I've sent out 6x7 and 6x9-shot film. The only things I don't like about it is the negs are unsleeved and somewhat carelessly put into the envelope, and they insist on leaving the idiotic staple in the end of the neg and including that, so often there's impressions/scratches(?) on one neg from where the staple was pressing against the one next to it. Morons. At least it's cheap.

-Ed

11. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have Vicki this fall, my schedule says that for the color class (photo 23a), she is teaching it. I'm on the waiting list for her experimental course too (photo 24a). I really hope that I can get both.

It seems that there isn't the ability to process "as many as you want for free" anymore. They give you your first set of chemistry for free, and then after that, you pay for it. I'm not sure if this is for all students, no matter if you have a color class or not, or if you're NOT in a color class, but want to process it anyhow.

I have processed c-41 in a Jobo at the Tri-Community Photo Center in Covina, but because of their recent price increase per semester ($160 for 11 weeks), I can't afford it right now.

I agree though, Vicki Martin is a very, very nice lady. When I worked at Samy's in Pasadena, she came in often, and I got to talk to her a bit while helping her with film and chemistry. I even helped Ed order the chemistry through Samy's rather than Calumet. I'm no longer at Samy's (laid off b/c of slow economy back this January -09)

thanks for the tips, I really hope it is "process as much as you want for free, cause I have about 12 rolls of 120 I've shot that I need to process :smile:)

-Dan

12. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow. I was unaware of the new rule re: chemistry. There was always a gallon kit mixed up for each class, and she would mix a new kit when the capacity was reached.

At any rate, C-41 made by Kodak proper is not all that pricey.

There is a note on the wall of the stockroom that has been there for YEARS, but no longer applies. It says something like: "Color Students: Your first 16 oz. set of C-41 chemistry is free. Additional sets may be purchased for $3.50 each." This is no longer the case. It is just an old note that no one has bothered to take down. The stockroom no longer disperses the color chemicals for one-shot use. Each teacher does so for his/her own class, and they pour back and reuse.

If there is a change, it has come around since last year.

Hope you can get in to 24A. She is the ONLY person worth taking it from. It is HER class more than any other one that she teaches.

13. nyoung

nyoung Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sent a roll of 120 Velvia out through my local Wal-Mart in April. Came back in exactly two weeks, sleeved and rolled inside a protective paper tube. Don't exactly remember how much it cost but I think it was about $5.

14. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I sent several rolls out in June & July. 120 & 220. C-41. Develop & Sleeve No Prints (written on the envelop). The 6x7 negatives returned sleeved and neatly cut in 5 or 10 pairs. The cost in Houston, TX: $0.84/roll. The zero is not a typo. I have read that prints at time of developing are silly cheap. The most expensive was 5x7 for $0.14/each. 4x6 were like a nickel each.

E-6 price is $5.88/roll. Kodachrome and 35mm E-6 is $6.88/36 exp. roll.

Burn up a bunch of color film. I can't develop B&W for $0.84/roll.

15. Irrev.Rev.

Irrev.Rev. Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wal-Mart for 120...

Just picked-up 120 Portra VC, 'negs' only, for about $1.30!! Neatly sleeved!!

Hope they don't catch on too soon!!

John

16. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes they still do. It will go to Dwayne's Photo.

17. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Walmart must have different prices for differeant areas, maybe just different stores. It would be nice to know what states are getting these low prices. I am going to call some near by towns with stores and see if their prices are different.

I would be cheaper to mail the rolls to one of these stores with bargain prices although I am sure that is not possible.:sad:

18. jvan01

jvan01 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Walmart is definitely the cheapest/best deal for 120 C41/E6 development. They always sleeve and cut my 120 negs into strips of 2 or 3 and place them into an envelope. I believe the variability in prices might be dependent on which Fujicolor facility serves your Walmart.

19. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The price variation is so slight that postage would negate any difference.

You want someone at Walmart to handle a mail order film processing request? Wake up.