Wallgreens markets film!

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Chriscc123, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Chriscc123

Chriscc123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    for those of you who didn't know, well apparently they do, (color) i shot a roll for just for fun and it came out nice and sharp :O it is tinted a little bit weird so you will have to adjust your color pack accordingly, but other than that its not to bad, not sure who manufactures it though

2. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think most of us here have decided that this is Fuji material.

3. Chriscc123

Chriscc123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    this is the FIRST iv herd of this.... i don't like being out of the loop... though i guess its natural.... i think the nearest wallgreens to me is 35 miles away or more

4. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think my local walgreens process film too. They are one chain still in. CVS is still going with film at most of the stores.

5. Chriscc123

Chriscc123 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    my local cvs still process it, but for some reason they don't sell it... go figure

6. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That is very unusual. My local CVS even sells Tri-X!

7. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The CVS around here charges around 6 bills for 24 ex tri x but they DO stock it along with several of the consumer Kodak color films. Teey also have a C41 line

The wahlgreens nearby processes 35mm C41 for $ 2.35usd but I don't think they see enough action to have a stable line. I'm afraid to try it. The rebadged 35mm color material they sell says "Made in Japan".

8. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    CVS just increased the Tri-X price from $4.99 to $6.49! At all of the CVS around me, for just developing of a 36exp roll, it is $0.99 if I recall. I use this fairly frequently to test a camera or see what is on a roll of film if I find one hanging around. They do clean processing in my area. I wouldn't trust anything important there but they arn't that bad.

9. mikecnichols

mikecnichols Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I work in the photo department at Walgreens. I will tell you that if you are doing mini-lab processing, find a Noritsu QSS store. They are much MUCH better than the Fujis. If your lab is a dry lab with the NexLab printer but has a film processor, then that will be Noritsu. The colors and contrasts come out so much better. Interesting about the S35 film. I'll have to check that out tomorrow and maybe throw some in my camera for a trial.

10. dmr

dmr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When Walgreens changed their film source, I carefully inspected the negatives and it was most definitely Fuji.

All Walgreens around here still process film.

A new CVS near where I work has a brand-new shiny film processor, a Noritsu it appears, and is committed to processing film. They quoted me something like $3.95 for a DO/CD so I will definitely try them.

11. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is the printer wet or is it one of those silly dry labs?

12. stillsilver

stillsilver Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a Walgreens opening up two blocks from me. My three year old and I have been going over there once a week to see the progress. He loves seeing the equipment. I only shoot 35mm color for reference photos and snapshots. It will be nice to be able to walk the film down to the lab.

Mike

13. dmr

dmr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Uh, that's a good question. I'll look closely or ask the next time I'm in.

I very seldom have prints made at a mini-lab. Last time was when I needed some prints (8x10) for a project quickly, and Walgreens did a surprisingly good job. They used a Frontier.

14. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've noticed some CVS do better than others based upon their equipment...The KIS minilab film scanners suck..usually.

15. mikecnichols

mikecnichols Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I "deal" with the Frontier cause it is the only one hour in my town. Our Walgreens store lost our wet lab due to costs and not enough profit. I wish they would at least get the film processor back. I can deal with shitty prints due to I really only want film to CD and print when needed. Luckily, if I'm in a bind like I am this week, I can drop a roll off at another store that my managers will pick up on their way into work. Definitely, Noritsu is the way to go for minilab processing....though those days are soon to be over for me...:smile:

16. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm sure this varies a lot depending on the competence of the people who run it and the condition of the machine. In my area, a local CVS has a Noritsu and a local Walgreens has a Fuji. The Walgreens produces much better prints. The prints from the CVS's Noritsu, whether they originate on film sent through their C-41 line or digital images I deliver, come out with a ghastly cyan cast and a "streaky" appearance that I associate with an inkjet cartridge that's on the verge of clogging up. (I don't know if the machine actually uses inkjet technology; it could be something else that just looks similar.) The Walgreens prints, although a bit high in contrast when they do the scanning, have decent color balance and a much smoother appearance. I also prefer the Walgreens prints because they're made on Fuji RA4 paper, vs. whatever non-RA4 technology the Noritsu uses. Therefore, if I get prints at Walgreens, I'm at least driving a small amount of demand for RA4 paper, which can only help long-term availability of same for my own use in my own darkroom.

17. geoferrell

geoferrell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A new Walgreens opened about 25 miles away and the prints look geat, but I am not sure about the CD scans. The fact that they opened a lab shocked some people because that city had not had a store that would process 35mm on site.

18. mikecnichols

mikecnichols Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It does have a lot to do with who runs it. If you have someone who doesn't give a crap and doesn't judge orders, then you can get crappy results. Also, if it is not kept properly clean and the chemicals aren't replaced/replenished frequently, then you'll have bad results. Speaking for Walgreens, we have end of month machine cleaning and I know Walmart cleans at least a little once a month. I really miss our Noritsu....I really hate the NexLab. The quality is shitty and we has less control over the quality of the print (such as no red-eye control).

19. patois

patois Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My local walgreens does a bad job the two local CVS stores are decent.