walmart discontinuing kodak film

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by pincushionllama, Sep 14, 2010.

1. pincushionllama

pincushionllama Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I know I know, walmart.

But here in Ft. Myers I think I'm gonna have to start ordering my film....ugh.

and i know it aint obscure film people drool over, but with kodak leaving, maybe even fuji (i barely saw any left) and a photo showroom with nothing but memory cards, digi cams and lithium batteries. Makes me worried that soon the C-41 processing equipment may see the end of its days there. (probably once one breaks)

case in point - a major retailer is no longer carrying a big name in film. eek.

2. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All of the WalMart stores I have been in through my travels in New England, not one of them for a while now has offered Kodak film or C-41 processing. I would imagine it's going to keep working its way to you.

3. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    It's time to quit going to Walmart stores, big boxes of imported crap....EC

4. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is actually not that uncommon. I don't know of another major retailer that carries both brands of film in manufacturer packaging. EX:

CVS: Kodak
    Target: Fuji

Store brands don't count, as they are almost all Fuji by now.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The targets around me are doing all Kodak business.

6. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great! Even more inspiration to support a professional photography shop! They need our business for film products in order to keep them on the shelves.

7. jsouther

jsouther Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree 2F/2F. I can't say I feel too bad about this as I've "discontinued" slavemart a very long time ago.

It does stink not having a local option, but mail order is pretty convenient overall I feel.

8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where I live Wal-Mart still sells Kodak, as of yesterday. Target sells Fuji but not much. I usually been using 120 as of late, so this hasn't really hurt me too much.

Jeff

9. paulie

paulie Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    please dont use those corporate slave shops, for me pls pls pls

10. Casey Kidwell

Casey Kidwell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Muck Falmart!

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Casey, you really need to not hold back your thoughts. Please open up and express your views more clearly. :whistling:

Steve

12. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get the first word, but we don't have Malmarts around me. :tongue:

13. Ric Trexell

Ric Trexell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That has been coming for years I think.

When my local Wal-Mart was built some 20 years ago, they had every sort of film that first month you could imagine. Even Polaroid Pack film in the peel a part packs. Then when that sold out, no more. Then they had every sort of Fuji and Kodak film. Then one day I went in there and they were selling out all slide film. Now they only sell Kodak film in packs of four, and only 400 speed I think. Up until about a year ago, 35mm film developing was super cheap. I always thought they must be subsidizing it as it only cost me about $2.25 for a 24 exposure roll. Now it is $6.50 or more. It used to take 3 days for 35mm film, now it takes a week. I can still get 120 film developed cheaper there than 35mm. MF film is only about $2.00 but I have noticed developer on the negs. I can get 35mm film developed at the camera store in nearby Oshkosh for $6.50 and it is done in a few hours. The weird thing is that the cameras that my Wal-mart has are not expensive SLR's, they are all those little dinky digitals. It almost looks like Wal-Mart in not only moving away from film, but from photography all together. Ric.

14. cfclark

cfclark Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think the "little dinky digitals" are what the bulk of Wal-Mart's clientele buys (north of 90% I'm sure), so they've ceded the DSLR market to Best Buy. They may be rapacious but they're not dumb. On the other hand, I haven't bought film (or much else) from Wal-Mart in years, so it makes little difference to me.

(Side note: I know right where Berlin, WI is, and that it's pronounced "BER-lin", not "Ber-LIN" (same with New Berlin, for that matter). I used to live in Madison and worked for a guy who grew up in that area.)

15. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to buy the 24 exp. $1/roll Polaroid branded C-41 film they had, for my GF's P&S camera. Worked fine. I don't know who made it, but at a buck a roll, I doubt it was one of the Big 2.

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ric, I believe the technical term you want is "digi-snapper" or "thingies". :tongue:

17. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yeah, as I hear it, Wallyworld refused to carry 10 sheet boxes of 8x10 film. They insisted on 50 sheet boxes because they thought the 10 sheet boxes weren't "green" enough