Want old Ries tripod parts

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by binglebugbob, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. binglebugbob

binglebugbob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mostly I need the knurled black knob with 1/4" x 20 threads that tightens the legs. (Kind of resembles the knob that often screws into the bottom of a camera case to attach it to the camera) I can send a picture if you think you might have one. Would consider a couple if you have them.

I won't tell you how I broke it*, but let's just say Ries tripods are surprisingly durable.
    bob

OK, I was late to a meeting, had set it behind my Ford Ranger, was in a hurry, and backed completely over it. I don't see a mark on it except the knob broke. Yah, I'm surprised too. I thought I'd be picking up kindling or tooth picks.

2. Zathras

Zathras Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think it is still possible to get parts from Ries.

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From their website;

Parts: Parts are available if you obtain a used tripod. Please contact us for information. A picture is extremely useful to identify the model and vintage of the tripod. Please email pictures and let us know which parts you need.

http://www.riestripod.com/support

They are in Bremerton, you could probably drive there.

4. binglebugbob

binglebugbob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, I can get parts from Ries, and I will if none turn up here, but I thought someone here might want to sell some (or maybe other spare parts from a junk box if they have them.) I bought a replacement top plate from Ries to replace the 1950s model that was on it (it had broken during the previous owner's ownership.) The new heads are being machined (milled?) and are stronger than the previous cast ones.

Part of it is, I'm torn between telling the owners what their tripod survived and telling them the dumb thing I did... :surprised:(
    bob.

5. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ace hardware carries some similar knobs.
    So does Rockler.com their business is woodworking stuff

6. binglebugbob

binglebugbob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks, I looked at some on both sites. They'd work fine, but I'm going to hold out for originals. If none turn up, I'll see if I can get Ries to bring one to the camera swap in Kent. They have reserved a display table there

7. JosBurke

JosBurke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a bag of vintage Ries goodies and there are some knobs for the earlier versions with the black wrinkle finish.
    Pm me--can u provide a pic of the one you need to match?
    --Joe Burke

8. binglebugbob

binglebugbob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ries Knob

I hope I've uploaded a picture of the knob.
    bob.

Attached Files:

9. JosBurke

JosBurke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What I have looks identical. What's the length of the threaded part on the other end. I think I have two different lengths.
    Just email me directly.
    --Joe Burke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.