Want To Buy 8x10 Camera

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jaredrod, Jul 21, 2006.

1. jaredrod

jaredrod Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've decided that I want to make the jump. I am looking for a 8x10 field camera with lens if possible. The most important issue is price. I'm a student and on a very tight budget. I understand that clearly one does get what they pay for. Unfortunately funds are limited and I want very much to start getting accustomed to the format as I meant to start an 8x10 portrait project very soon. Thanks, Jared

2. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome to APUG :smile:

I think the biggest bang for your buck may be a Kodak 2D or maybe a Burke and James or AGFA. Some of these may be rather ugly but still work. Some may even have a lens. The biggest draw back will be less than perfect bellows, but you can get around that by draping your dark cloth over them when you make the exposere as long as they're not super ratty.

I was lucky and found a 5x7 with a shutter/lens that was ambiguesly listed on the auction site and paid $40. The bellows have pinholes but the above solution works just fine. I sent the shutter/lens out for a CLA (Flutot's Camera Repair) and bought a SatinSnow ground glass.

Don't forget to factor in the film and film holders, tripod, dark cloth, cable release, light meter, etc. If you shoot other formats you may already have some of these.

Check the auction place regularly and search odd variations of your primary search. You may luck out.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Alan.

3. Steve Hamley

Steve Hamley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd go for a Kodak 2D or an Agfa. Be sure whatever you get has the extension rail since you want to do portraits and the rails are frequently missing. The Agfa had a built-in rail on many models, but the Kodak's did not.

You should be able to get a usable 2D for $200 - $250. Be sure the bellows is at least usable; pinholes are usually fixable, but a bellows replacement is usually about $250 up and would "break the bank" on a $250 camera. Obviously, a $300 camera with a nice bellows is a better deal than a $150 camera that needs a bellows.

Depending on how close your portraits are, consider a coated Kodak 12" or 14" Commecial Ektar. You should be able to pick up a user for $250 - $350 respectively and nice examples for $50-100 more. The 14" Commercial Ektar is a classic 8x10 portrait lens. Ilex-Calumet made pretty much the same lens after Kodak stopped, and you can probably get those for a little less.

Steve

4. tim atherton

tim atherton Inactive

give us an idea of your budget...

5. jaredrod

jaredrod Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Budget is between 500-800

6. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    To give you an idea of a lower budget camera and lens combo, I picked up a Korona 8x10 with a triple convertible lens for around $450. I had to shop around a bit, but I was able to find one in good condition for that price. It has full front movements, and most rear movements where many 8x10s I've seen have limited front movements. Also, any 8x10 camera is not exactly going to be light, so be sure to budget for a sturdy tripod. There are some threads on heavy tripods on this site that might help you out.

- Randy

7. tim atherton

tim atherton Inactive

8. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is the team-cheapskate version

Century #1, 8x10 with a 5x7 back. Bellows had already been replaced. 5x7 back needed glass. No lens. $140.

5x7 satin-snow glass, something cheap.

5x7 holders. Some wood (really cheap) some plastic (kinda cheap).

Very old 27cm Dagor with packard shutter--something like $100 (I have to check). I think I spent too much on it.

8x10 film holders--had some given to me by my brother. Purchased some more at a terribly high price, only to find that they were, in-fact, rare. Could have sold at a profit, instead traded them for a few usable 8x10 holders.

8x10 film--purchased JandC classic 400 for something like $60/box when he was having a big sale.

Matt

9. Campbell

Campbell Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    "You should be able to get a usable 2D for $200 - $250"

I don't think you're likely to get a 2D with the extension in that price range, unless perhaps it's really in horrible condition otherwise in which case you probably don't want it even with the extension. And a 2D without the extension is very limiting. In good condition and with the extension (and hopefully the sliding tripod block as well, that's almost a necessity with the 2D when using the extension) I think you're more likely to pay in the $400 range. Still, $400 is not bad for an 8x10 camera that extends to about 28 inches with the extension, has mostly geared movements, and is very well made. The only drawback to the 2D is the lack of front tilt but that shouldn't matter for portraits. Now having said all this someone will point to five or six 2Ds on sale with the extension in great shape for $200. : - )

10. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey!!!!

My glass ain't cheap, its inexpensive!

LOL

:D

Dave

11. ineffablething

ineffablething Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Kodak Master View. I used to have a 2D and hated it. The Master View is indestructible and won't splinter to shit if it falls off your tripod (ask me how I know!).

W.

12. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Opinions vary, I didn't like my masterview, and do like the 2D, Of course dropping an 8x10 off a tripod, no matter what model it is, is never a good thing!

LOL

Dave

13. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a Calumet C-1, with spare lensboards drilled to various sizes, that I'd be willing to let go for $600. It is a big beast, but it has 34" of bellows, so you can do those portraits with ease. You can even do 1:1 macro work with a 14" ektar. PM me if you're interested and I can send you a more complete description of what I've got. I could include some film holders for a very reasonable price. Oh, and it already has a SatinSnow ground glass in it :D

14. ineffablething

ineffablething Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    That's true! What I didn't like about my 2D was the wood it was made of. Mine always seemed a little bit rickety. The wood rails had become a bit mushy and I never could get the front standard to lock down tightly enough. I am always bringing my cameras into strange places like abandoned houses,etc and seem to bang them around a bit. The 2D was always splintering or getting yet another huge dent in the wood. The Masterview seems indestructible. But, as you stated, to each his own.

cheers,

W.

15. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

A Kodak 2D, Calumet metal monster or Agfa/Ansco Universal would most likely fit your budget. You might luck onto a NFS Deardorff for a bit more. The 'dorff. KMV and Century Universal are great cameras but I haven't seen any inexpensive ones in quite awhile. For an inexpensive and way underrated 8x10 lens look for a 375mm Ilex or 12" Wollensak Velostigmat(unless of course you've got a 240 G Claron you can steal from your 4x5 kit!)

Welcome to 8x10!