want to share my purchase + pics

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Kim Catton, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Kim Catton

Kim Catton Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all

I just received my latest purchase and wanted to share this camera with you guys. It's my very first folder and I really don't no much about this system. I guess I fell for the looks of it :smile: I have tried to google the different models etc. but can't seem to figure out what is what and why.

I don't really know how old this camera is but it came with a nice bag and seems to be in a really good condition, but I might be wrong?

I heard somewhere that the "M" stands for Mess (german for measurement)?

I think I will let the pictures speak and hear what any of you have to say.

http://imgur.com/a/LD1y4/2 (pictures can be viewed in larger sizes by clicking them. Also note that there is two pages of pictures)

All the best,

Kim

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think mess is German for measured which I think refers to the un-coupled rangefinder. i.e. you have to measure the distance then set it on the lens.

I have a similar Ansco Speedex which is the American version of the Isolette III which also has an un-coupled rangefinder. It's much easier to use than to describe.

Steve.

3. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yep, "mess" stands for measurement. I have had one of these, but with the Tessar. This particular model is 524/16. Wonderful little camera. I think yours is in perfect condition and about early or mid fifties. Now get out and make some photos with it! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
  4. Kim Catton

Kim Catton Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just fed it with a roll of 160nc and will now head out to shoot some frames. Can't wait to see how they turn out!

5. R gould

R gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks to be in very good condition indeed. The novar lens is very good indeed, stooped down to around it is very sharp, I have a Ikonta among my collection with the novar and have got 20/24 with no problems,I used folders all the time and love them, plus they seem very friendly cameras, people don't seem to mind them as much as modern cameras,have fun and enjoy it Richard

6. Kim Catton

Kim Catton Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Stooped down to around what? :smile: It's my first folder and it seems like fun - even the un coupled rangefinder doesn't seem to much work. I've just come back from the great outdoors. I shot a roll of 160nc at different apertures from 8 - 22. Now I'll hand it over to the lab and see what it looks like.

7. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice, folders are a weakness of mine, it is so great to be able to carry a medium format camera in your pocket.

8. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Better have a strong pocket.

9. R gould

R gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Kim, sorry, my typing skills need some improvement, stop it down to 8 to 11 and it is a great lens, even if it is a triplet, capable of great things, I have 6 MF folders, from ensigns to the Ikonta and I don't have a bad word to say about any of them,I prefer them to any modern cameras, Richard

10. P C Headland

P C Headland Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

Welcome to the wonderful world of folders. This may well be the first of many....

It's a Mess Ikonta, i.e. one with an uncoupled rangefinder. I've got a 524/2, which is the 6x9 version. Nicely made, not too heavy, and the Novar lens performs well. I've got a 6x6 Super Ikonta version with the same lens as yours, and it too performs more than well enough. Stopped down to f8-f11 they perform very well, and wide open you get a degree of "swirlies" which can be used to good effect.

Oh, and I've got quite a few other 6x6 and 6x9 folders. I think they breed :tongue:

They're great fun to use, and you get a decent sized negative in a nice, easy to carry package.

11. pentaxpete

pentaxpete Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    http://flic.kr/p/8ztS4K
    Hope you can view my latest FREE camera - the classic Agfa Isolette III with 75mm f3.5 Solinar and rangefinder I hopw I have put the 'link' on here correctly -- I wsa given it by a lady member of my Camera Club and have used it for B&W and colour neg. It is sharp at f3.5 too !