Wanted:Asahi Pentax K1000

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by altair, Jun 2, 2009.

1. altair

altair Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all.recently i won a PK mount lens cheaply on ebay,but i dont have a K mount body.being eager to try it out,i'm looking to buy an Asahi Pentax K1000 camera,either with lens (any!) or body only.it must be in working condition mechanically.cosmetically,it'd be nice to have one thats near mint,but i dont really mind.also,it must be reasonably priced.being a student,my budget is tight :sad:
    if possible,i want the version that was made in japan,and not the newer ones made in china/hongkong.i know,theres a lot of this cameras on ebay,but i'd rather buy one from a collector or a person who knows his stuff.and the ones on ebay are sometimes so expensive!
    I know the KX,KM,K2,MX are better than the K1000,but they tend to be even more expensive,so i think my choice is limited to the k1000 now.
    I'm based in Malaysia,so seller must be willing to ship it here.i'll pay extra to cover paypal fees,n shipping.and i can only pay via paypal.
    I really hope someone here is willing to let go n sell me this camera at a decent price.thanks in advance!

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got a KM for a friend last year. It was cheaper than the K1000. It's just about the same camera with the addition of a DOF preview.

Steve.

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you look for a place to buy? Try KEH.com and the classified section of this website.

Are you looking to determine which camera to buy? Ask on.

Steve

4. altair

altair Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    @Sirius:yes,i'm looking buy one,a Pentax k-mount camera,more specifically the k1000.in retrospect,i totally forgot about the classifieds section.i'm sorry if this was posted in the wrong section.if so,then mods,pls delete this thread.i'm sorry n thanks.

5. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The K1000 is not an Asahi Pentax. In fact, it was built in a different country.

6. phenix

phenix Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you look for a camera similar to the K1000 (all manual except for the light-meter), I would recommend you the far cheaper Ricoh KR5 Super, aka A50 Super (Super is important). It has all the K1000 does, minus speeds below 1/8, but it has some pluses: vertical metal shutter, 1/125 flash synchronization, self-timer, and mirror lock-up while using the self-timer. It is built like a tank (cast metal) despite the plastic covers (up and bottom). In fact, I never understood why people like so much the K1000, and totally ignore the KR5 (A50) Super. 100% question of cult.

PS: I used Pentaxes for some years, but finally I choused the Ricohs for their better built quality (especially electronics, although mechanically they are equal to Pentax), for their value (features/price), and for their reliability (higher than in Pentax' M class).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009
  7. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PM sent. And mine IS a Ashai Pentax K-1000 . I think the later versions were the Honeywell Pentax.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2009
  8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You'll find plenty of Asahi Pentax K1000's for sale, they were built in Japan alongside other Pentax's, later production was moved to Hong Kong and then finally China. The removal of the Asahi name and AOC logo was across all Pentax models and so didn't indicate the camera wasn't built in Japan.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2009
  9. sidearm613

sidearm613 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hate to killjoy, but let me speak as a moderator when I say that this belongs in the classified section.

I did this too when I first registered, and I've got two closed threads to speak for it...

10. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    On the contrary IMHO - the K1000's cult following because of its standing as a student camera has inflated its value artificially and the KM & KX can often be picked up for less money though they have much better features. The K1000 lacks DoF preview which the other two have as has been said and which I would say is well worth having.

Steve

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your definitely right Steve, I have a KM and a KX and when I bought them they were selling for less than the K1000, I bought an excellent MX last year from an APUG member again well bellow a K100 price.

Ina

12. geauxpez

geauxpez Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a K1000 database on Pentaxforums here with details of K1000 bodies by serial number. It is updated periodically in that thread.

13. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format

Fixed the link to the external pentax forum

14. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a really nice K1000 that you can have if you pay for shipping. It's the one built in Japan with full metal top, not the cheap and chinsy ones that had a plastic top later on. It has a dent in the top hood, but that doesn't affect operation or performance at all.

I'm in Minnesota, USA.

15. altair

altair Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    @Phenix: Thanks a lot for the Ricoh KR5 recommendation! I'm open to any offer for that too, seems like a nice camera. But is the plain vanilla KR5 as good as the KR5 super? I'm betting it's not. =)

@dances_w_clouds: PM sent..thanks!

@Steve Roberts: Yes, I know the K1000 lacks DOF, self timer and mirror lock up, but at this point in time, I don't really mind they don't. I hardly use those features anyway. After all, beggars can't be choosers right? =) Thanks for the tip anyway Steve!

@Thomas: PM is on it's way to u right this minute. =) Thanks!