Wanted Grey Scale for densitometer calibration

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by John Austin, Jan 1, 2012.

1. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I am looking for a transparent calibration grey scale to calibrate a densitometer

Alternatively, a dark piece of film about zone IX with an accurate density reading so I can set up my Eselite densitometer to check on zone VIII to aid keeping my deep tank of D76d in good working order

Since 1985 I have done this by guestimation, but now I have a densitometer I want to do it properly

Please PM

John

2. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Still wanted - Even a sheet of evenly exposed zone XI ish with accurate density reading

John

3. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  4. Panoman617

Panoman617 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let me look around I may have an old one.

5. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used cutup pieces of gelatin neutral density filters for calibration. Probably some film base vs. filter reason this may not be 100% accurate. But my spot metering isn't either.

6. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I could certainly expose, process and measure a sheet of 4x5, but hopefully someone closer to you will volunteer.

7. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Make sure you get a calibrated step wedge. They will mark the actual values for each of the steps, and then you can check your densitometer at more than one value.

If you really don't want to spend the money, shoot a test frame and mail it to me and I'll read it for you. Send it with a self addressed stamped envelope and I can get then get it back to you. Or just cut it in half and mail me one half. The other should be very close. PM me for my address if you want to go this route.

9. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    When I was repairing my density meter, I spoke with the guys at the factory and they told me the best way to calibrate it was to adjust the low density by using no filter at all, then adjust the high density with a Wratten 2.0 neutral density gel filter. I already had one, so I was able to calibrate immediately. You simply adjust your densitometer until it reads 2.0 while lit through the filter. They also told me that it was how they do it at the factory for white and color channels.

10. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just yesterday, someone posted a FS thread here that had a Stauffer step wedge for $5. Look for it.

11. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the Stouffer gear with good results. They're very helpful if you phone them and might help you avoid something that isn't ideal. My old Macbeth TD902 calibrated with the calibrated Stouffer agrees right on with a Wallner unit (amazingly consistent) that I also have.