Wanted! Hasselblad 80 f/2.8 C

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by matthewm, Oct 13, 2010.

1. matthewm

matthewm Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello all,
    My fiancee just got her first Hasselblad 500C and we're looking for a decent condition 80/2.8 for it. The camera came with a 150 f/4 that we would be willing to offer as a partial trade or we'd just like to buy something outright. Please PM or email me (matthewjmorse@gmail.com) or text me (843 345 0186) with what you have with its condition and price with shipping and paypal to 29414 (US Zip code).

Thanks so much!!

Best,
    Matthew

2. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Matthew--
    As a longtime shooter of that same camera, I'm going to give you my 2 cents that you may or may not want to hear! When I got my first Hasselblad, the lens it came with was the 80mm. Since then I have acquired many lenses, and have not used the 80mm in the last 6 or 7 years. If I were you, I would DEFINITELY hang onto the 150, it's a great lens. The 80 is something that can be obtained pretty easily and in my opinion is much less useful of a lens. KEH has a bunch right now:

http://www.keh.com/search?store=cam...&ccode=6&grade=Grade&sprice=0&eprice=0&r=SE&e

Not trying to be preachy or anything, just offering up advice from my point of view. Either way, hope many years of enjoyment come your way via the Hasselblad--sure has been that way for me!
    Adios,
    Matt

3. matthewm

matthewm Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the advice. We will trade the 150 ilas a last resort if the 80s are selling at a premium. You wouldn't want to sell your unused 80 would you? :smile:

4. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My 80 isn't worth buying. It was beat up by the studio that it came from! Luckily there are TONS out there, so I am sure you will find one. I keep meaning to buy a replacement for mine, but that would be the collector in me, not the shooter!

5. faustotesta

faustotesta Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Should you cross the atlantic ocean to come to visit ITALIA i may consider to trade my 80 2.8 for your Sonnar.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
  6. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Matthew,

KEH is probably your best bet.

-J

7. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I will echo Matt's recommendation to keep the 150. Mine produces sharper pictures than my old 80C, or my 250 CF. I use it for about 80% of the pictures I take with that camera. I would offer to sell you my old 80, but I am thinking of selling my newer lenses with a 501CM body since I shoot mostly large format now. I want to keep my old 500CM and my 80 and 150 C lenses.

8. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have 4 lenses for my Hasselblad (for which I paid more than $4000.00, used) and even though I use them all, the 150 is my favorite. You can get a really nice 80mm for under $300.00, so it's not worth it to trade the 150. Your financee might find that she prefers the 150 after having used them both.

I know people who've traded away Hasselblad equipment and regretted it. I would get such a small percentage of what I paid for my Hasselblad equipment that I may as well keep it and enjoy using it. Besides, they make digital backs which fit it. Hasselblad represents the ultimate in upward compatibility.

9. matthewm

matthewm Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks guys. I've actually decided to sell off my Olympus OM-2n kit to help fund a nice 80 for her so she doesn't have to sell/trade her 150. You've all convinced me/her to keep it. :smile: I think we'll grab one from KEH sometime this week maybe.

A little off topic, but does anyone have any experience buying BGN (Bargain) equipment from KEH? I'm looking at a lens for myself from there and it's a heck of a good deal for it. I've bought EX/EX+ stuff from them that looked like no human had ever touched it outside of the person who manufactured it. I'm just wondering if maybe their BGN rating was as conservative as their other ratings.

Best,
    Matthew

10. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    KEH bargain is a crapshoot these days.
    it used to be there wasn't a better bargain out there because bargain grade were quite clean with NO optical issues

now days bargain can include slight optical defects

if you can swing it at all I'd go ex+
    it all boils down to the luck of the draw with bargain but with ex+ there is little worry if any.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
  11. matthewm

matthewm Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Bruce.

Anyone got an 80 f/2.8 to sell?

12. ConnorR

ConnorR Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would consider selling my 80 2.8 C. PM me.

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My first Hasselblad lens was the 250mm. Why? That is all the camera store had in used Hasselblad equipment that was in good condition.

Now I have the 38mm [Hasselblad 903 SWC], 50mm, 80mm, 150mm and the 250mm.

The order used from most to least is 80mm, 50mm, 250mm, 38mm [SWC] and last 150mm. I do not shoot portraits very often so I use the 150mm when the composition eliminates the 250mm.

Which lens is used how much really depends on your fiancee and what she chooses to shoot. No one can say that any one lens will never be used or another lens will be used the most by her. Only she will determine that and over time her choices will change.

I recommend she and you look at KEH.com and see what is available in good condition in which she is interested. The return policy takes the risk and heartache out of what should be a positive endeavor.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve

14. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Gee I am surprised at the 'anti 80' sentiments here ;-) I must say I use the 80 99% of the time, and I hardly ever pick up the 150. If anyone wants to buy my CF150... ;-) The 80 is such a wonderful lens - fast, small, light... makes the system easy to carry around. Works well with extension tubes... yeah it does suck for close portraits of course! Good luck with finding your 80 - I think your wife will love it. But agree with the advice here, preferably only sell the 150 down the line if her shooting style and preference renders it obsolete.