Wanted: I need a scanner. Bah.

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by Stephanie Brim, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So here's the story.

When I was broke last year, a really nice guy sent me an Epson 2450 Photo. The thing worked a treat and I used the crap out of it. The problem is that, well, it's almost dead. The transparency light only works occasionally and it doesn't even have drivers for Windows 7, which is what I'm on now.

So here's what I'm thinking. I've just gotten a 5x7 camera. I need something that I can use to scan that, my 4x5s, and my medium format. I was thinking about either a 4990 or a V700. Before I go either buying something new or heading off to Ebay to get annoyed by people sniping things out from under me, I figured I'd ask here.

I'm actually open to anything that will scan 5x7 at this point, so suggestions of alternate scanners that won't break the bank are appreciated.

Note that this is in Want To Buy, not in the general forums. I'm asking to buy one from someone, though I am asking about various ones I suppose. If people really object I can take it elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2010
  2. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. iamzip

iamzip Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Go to Epson.com, click on the epson store, then clearance items. The 4490 is only $109 dollars, haven't had any trouble with mine so far. Then check out betterscanning.com to see if they have sheet film holders.

4. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 4490 won't scan large format. The transparency adapter isn't large enough.

Also, I plan to be scanning both prints and negatives.

5. cornelius

cornelius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I actually use the new V600 and it works great, though you would have to custom design a holder for 4x5/5x7, which wouldn't be a big deal cause a piece of mat board with the proper hole should do the job. The v600 is really nice because I can scan the whole strip each scan run from my archive sheets at a time, ie. 3 - 6x6cm, 4 - 6x4.5cm, etc. The V700 is even nicer, though I can't really comment on it since I have yet to use one, but we have one at school and it looks pretty nice. I scan all my negs @ med. dust removal and that usually does a really good job and is quick. Overall I am very pleased with mine, and the V700 is supposed to have many more features. Good luck!

6. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had a Epson V700 for a good part of a year now and so far I like it. It will can up to 8x10 negs. What I don't like are the flimsy film holders. Other than that, it's been pretty good. Good dynamic range also.

7. bob100684

bob100684 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    the epson 750 might be worth the money over the 700 because you can fluid mount your film instead of using the film holders. Also IIRC it comes with silverfast which is apparently awesome for scanning from negatives.

8. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I won't be printing from the negatives I'm scanning. It'll be a quick way to show off my work while I get a real darkroom set up. I have two kids. It's very hard for me to get printing done, but I'm going to try!

The V700 is probably the best choice for me and I think I'm going to just sit on my negatives for a while, scanning them the crappy way with Vuescan and the dying scanner (when it wants to work), and pick up a refurb.

Another one I was looking into, though, is the 4870. There are newer drivers for that one and it would be usable through Vuescan as well.

9. veriwide

veriwide Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I love my Epson V750. I have been in Digital Imaging for 13 years. I used to run Drum Scanners. I watched the commercial scanning market dry up as Digital cameras became the norm. During the same time CCD technology caught up with drum scan quality (well, within 90%), but there are always acceptable diminishment of quality when new technology arises.
    I use this scanner a lot. It scans images and documents for my graphic design and photography clients, as well as scanning my own film negs(8x10,5x7,4x5, 120). It saves me on photo paper as I scan my negs to determine contrast and toning before traditional printing. This scanner comes with "wet mount" capabilities. It also is a two lens scanner, it choses which lens based on enlargement.
    I

10. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cornelius... does the v600 scan 4x5 and 5x7 negatives?

11. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No. The transparency unit for that one is 2.7"x9"...so you'd have to scan and stitch, which is something I want to avoid having to do.

12. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An alternative solution would be to print your negs and scan the print. Then you could buy a cheaper scanner like the v500, and you would end up with nice contact prints or enlargements and lots of darkroom experience.

The epson refurbs are really a great deal. The 4990 runs about $250 and the v700 about $400.

I ended up buying a v700, but I havent used it yet because I am waiting on a new PC. And I am still suffering on sticker shock and wishing i had spent the $$$ on film and other equipment.

13. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't ventured over there yet. I think I'm still hoping I'll get more time to print. How is it?

15. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When a decent scanner is paired with skilled use of PhotoShop, the tools therein that can improve the scan pretty much bring the quality of a lesser scanner to that of a far better and more expensive one. Sweat equity I suppose!

16. iamzip

iamzip Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly as I was actually in class! It is worth keeping an eye on the clearance center at Epson if you don't find anything right away, as they get different refurbished models in from time to time.

17. mark

mark Member

HA! I have two small kids and have not printed a damn thing in three years. Good luck. Now that the eldest, Tsumani, and his younger brother, Hurricane, are a bit older I am finally getting some time to myself. Now I have a HUGE backlog of negs to process.

ALl the power to you if you can find time to print.

18. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OMG i laughed so hard. THX i have 2 kids and i understand your pain. I think I made 2 prints last year, just to prove that I could. My goal this year is to double my output.

19. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Force yourself to make prints and use a cheap flat bed scanner.

20. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

21. cornelius

cornelius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Epson only provides negative holders for slides, 120 sized film (large enough to do the whole cut strip as I mentioned), and 35mm. The scanner bed scans up to 8 1/2" x 11 5/8" with film holders removed, and this is where I was mentioning it would be easy enough to cut a mat board to the negative size you need. You just need anything roughly the width of the film holders, which looks about mat width sized...

I haven't specifically tried it yet but I will be soon, and I don't see why it would NOT work. I'll repost after I do.

22. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, so...here's the thing.

I print, too. I really want to get started again, but I don't have time to make the contact sheets. I plan to scan the negatives as a way to look at contact sheets and print them the old fashioned way. I also want to be able to quickly upload photos regardless of whether they've been printed or not because, with two kids, who the hell knows when I'm going to get around to getting into the darkroom to do it. I appreciate that this isn't something we want to deal with here, but if we didn't have scanners, we wouldn't see each others photos at all.

It isn't like I'm going to use the thing to scan and then print, on a printer, my images. I'll be scanning my negatives, shot on real film, and my prints, printed on real paper.

Also, this is a WANT TO BUY AD. If anyone actually has any objection to me asking to buy something, tell everyone else selling anything remotely related to digital to stop selling it.

Maybe I should just give up.

23. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do check the Hybrid site, I finally did and now I have an Epson 4990 scanner and a Epson 1900 printer that's on the way. I got a tip about the Epson Refurb store and a 4990 came up one day and I ordered it. It will scan 8x10 and everything on down and has an insert for prints as well as the holders. $279. Or you can look on eBay but how well do they pack? Epson has free shipping on all items. Packed in original boxes and put on your doorstep. This scanner is worth waiting for. Check over on the Hybrid site and ask there if anyone has a used scanner.

Curt

24. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This really is off topic, and since you haven't found a scanner as a classified here, you may have better luck over at HybridPhoto. So, I'm going to close this... if someone has a scanner to sell then they will see your interest here in any case.

http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/home.php

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.