Wanted: Source for very small rivets

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Ian Grant, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As per title, I have couple of cameras to repair that have had small rivets removed, in one case to make it easier to take a lens of an MF folder body. By chance I had the missing lens now I want to get the camera working again.

So where to find very small rivets, failing that very small nut, bolts and washers. If I find them I know another camera I can fix that I valued for my sisters friend last year.

Ian

2. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most little items like this can be sourced locally.
    Try companies that repair automotive instruments, (speedometers, gauges, carburetors, etc...),
    aircraft flight instruments, too. A call to few jewelers might also be helpful.
    Check with local opticians; inquire which companies repair eyeglass frames for them.
    Also, check with clock and watch repair shops, and houses that specialize in fasteners, (nuts & bolts).
    If these technicians don't have exactly what you need, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Marc

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Marc

Good ideas, and I worked in the Jewellery trade for nearly 20 years (in Precious Metals) so know the suppliers for the clock/watch trade. I hadn't thought of them :D

Ian

4. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have made odd rivets for years by putting various sizes of brass wire in a drill chuck with about 1/8" exposed. Peen the end with a small hammer to form a head. Then cut to length. Really fast and easy.

5. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Ian,

I get my supplies from www.micro-tools.com. In the left hand column there is a page for 'Rivet guns.' Take a look at the sizes of the rivets to see if they meet your needs. Since this a watch maker tool/parts supplier they ought to have some tiny rivets.

On the home page look under the header Watch Repair Tools. I see they have both US/EU departments. I found the rivets in the US section.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2013
  6. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brass brads also work quite well. Check out the hobby supply stores that sell model boat kits etc.

7. jmck

jmck Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    another Place that might have them is http://www.mcmaster.com/# They have a bit of every thing and provide Excellent service.

8. Bill Banks

Bill Banks Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian

I have various minature nuts, bolts, rivets etc inherited from my late father's home workshop - far more than I'll ever need. If you would like to send me a pm with your address I'd be happy to send you a handful in a jiffy bag in case any are of use.

Bill