Wanted to borrow: Silver Gelatin - A Users Guide

Discussion in 'Silver Gelatin Based Emulsion Making & Coating' started by mossbloom, Mar 3, 2014.

1. mossbloom

mossbloom Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wanted to borrow: Silver Gelatin: A Users Guide by Reed & Jones. Two of us are planning a large liquid emulsion print project, and we just can't afford the cost of a used book (don't even think about a new one). I'll gladly pay shipping to and from anyone who might be willing to lend. All I need is a quick read: I know the book has lots of information that doesn't apply.

2. Mike Crawford

Mike Crawford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hi Mossbloom,
    Where are you located and what part of the book do you need?
    Bert

4. mossbloom

mossbloom Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Bert----

I'm located in Cotati, CA, USA, just north of San Francisco. What my shooting buddy and I are working on what we call the GWPP--the Great Wall Print Project. He's the artist: I'm the technical guy. The idea is to do three large panels--perhaps 3X5 feet (portrait orientation)--on a theme. Liquid emulsion on canvas, exposed with a projector. We've done proof-of-concept with RC photo paper; now it's time to try the liquid emulsion (which looks to be Foma). So...not having seen the Silver Gelatin User's Guide, all I can go on is the few limited descriptions I've read, but I'm interested in learning more about application, development, fixing, durability, fogging, etc. I don't care about putting LE on rocks etc. Amazon lists the book new for $215, with one used for $93. Too much for this photographer living on social security. So...can you do a loan?

Al
    mossbloom

5. Zelph

Zelph Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try your local Public Library for an Inter Library Loan request.

They migh be able to get you a copy using their sysem. Have had good luck doing this for many older and hard to find books.

6. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Reed used to post here, and said he was working on a 2nd edition.

You should know that not all of the emulsions in the first edition were tested and there are quite a few misprints in the emulsion section. So, tread warily. I suggest you keep in touch with us here on APUG to help step you through.

PE

7. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I'll send you a PM

8. mossbloom

mossbloom Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  9. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hi Al,
    I've forwarded the PM to your mail. You can remove your email address in this thread now (to save a bit of privacy).
    Bert