Warmtone developers for chlorobromide papers to be gold toned.

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Tom Kershaw, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After some lack of success with Fotospeed PD-5 as the developer precursor to gold toning Fomatone MG and Adox Premium Variotone, I will probably make further attempts with ID-78.

Any comment on other potentially suitable warmtone developers and the characteristics that result in blue tones when gold toned?

Tom.

2. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Tom, I tried Gold Toning Ilford WTFB but didn't like the Blue highlights & Olive Brown shaddows

Its just a personal thing - although I have seen some lovely WTFB split toned in Selenium and Gold from Stoo Batchelor & Les McLean

Martin

3. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've developed a sheet of Fomatone MG and a sheet of Adox Premium Varitone in 1+3 dilution ID-78; trying a 1+7 dilution may be a sensible next step.

Tom.

4. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To report back, both Fomatone MG and Adox Premium Variotone papers responded well to Tetenal gold toner; the Fomatone MG paper giving a "bluer" result. As noted earlier the developer was ID-78 standard concentration, diluted 1+7.

Tom.