Warmtone won't shift from green to brown...

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Dan Henderson, May 17, 2008.

1. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A year or so ago I printed a photograph of Wright's Fallingwater on Ilford warmtone paper in Harman warmtone developer, then toned for 6:00 in KRST diluted 1:9. The combination gave me the loveliest delicate brown tones in the highlights and mid ranges.

The other evening I printed another image with the same materials, time, dilutions, etc. expecting the same result. This print has a green tone to it, especially when compared to the Fallingwater print. Anyone have any ideas what isn't working the same for me?

2. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    With Forte Polywarmtone I had the effect, that the very fresh paper had a green tint. After 6 months the tint had become weaker and new prints had the known warm tone, no green detectable.

3. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you sure that the KRST is still potent enough? It does exhaust, but can be replenished and re-used almost forever.

4. rwyoung

rwyoung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like maybe your toner is pooped. It does age after mixing down from concentrate. Try mixing a fresh batch (I assume you didn't make 10 liters of the stuff from the original bottle).