Wash water temperature?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by GRHazelton, Feb 15, 2013.

1. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi folks -

I just finished souping some Kentmere 400 in D76. Temperature was 66F, so I adjusted development time per a handy chart. They look good.

My question is: My tapwater measures about 54F. I seem to remember from chem classes ages ago that the speed of a reaction doubles with a 10C rise in temp, and halves with a 10C drop. Is there a need to adjust the wash time? It really isn't a reaction, but....any thoughts out there?

In the same train of thought, as I remember high tempertures may cause reticulation of the emulsion. While I've never seen any evidence of thermal damage cause by a temperature drop, might I be courting disaster by having a 12F drop?

Thanks!

2. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Reticulation is difficult to achieve in modern film and a water temperature between about 25 and 30C combined with 10 or more changes of water will wash your film more quickly than 20 minutes of continuous running water at 20C. However, I don't do this, what's the rush?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
  3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Old fashioned reticulation still occurs with some films, and with others you'll still get problems. Wash at the same temperature as the rest of the process if you wanthigh quality results.

Ian

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    To be sure of avoiding problems I'd simply warm about 2 L of water to the same temp as the dev and use an extension of the Ilford wash sequence which is 5,10,15, 20, 15,10,5 inversions and dump.

pentaxuser

5. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, all! I think I'll just add a little warm water from the tap.