Washing Between Developers

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by pukalo, Jun 2, 2012.

1. pukalo

pukalo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does anyone (PE?) know if there is any harm in washing a bit more than the specified time between developers? Not ony with the Kodak 7 step, but also how about with blix 4 step E6 process. With the Kodak I usually rinse longer after the FD, with the Arista/ Tetenal blix kits, I rinse extra long after the Color Developer step (before blix), until I see no magenta/purple stain to the rinse water. Im guessing this is excess color dye I am washing away, or maybe it is just CD that was soaked into the film emulsion. I dont see any problems with my images, but was wondering if extended rinses actually wash away some of my image / image depth, before it is fixed, and whether I should avoid this.

2. mts

mts Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You should be using an acid/sulfite stop following each developer (use a dedicated stop for 1st and another for 2nd), and follow these stops with a water rinse. You don't need a long wash, but only a rinse with a couple of water changes. If you are not using any stop then you risk contamination and/or staining.

3. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't stop after first developer, it's supposed to be a 38 degrees celsius water bath for 2 minutes that weakly continues development in E-6 process. That rinse is supposed to be on time as it's part of the development process.

Stop after dev (if not bleaching straight up) in C-41.