Watch Your Camera Strap!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by happyjam64, Mar 10, 2011.

1. happyjam64

happyjam64 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have completely fallen in love with my pentax lx! It's the perfect size and has the right amount of features. If I had to live with one camera, it would be the lx.
    So after constantly using mine for over a year, I thought I'd treat it to a CLA. Two weeks and $175 later, I went to pick it up. It looked great with new seals, an adjusted mirror, and zero specks of dust.
    Twenty minutes later, the strap broke. It fell on the hard floor. Now it fails to fire, with the mirror stuck in the up position. I believe this problem is much worse then the famous "sticky-mirror". :sad:
    So! Does anyone know of a camera repair place that specializes in the lx? In it's current condition, I think it may be a little too broken to send to a general repair place. I love this camera and I don't want to have to let it go!

2. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune, that hurts badly. Don't know of any repair shop for 35mm cameras but i hope you cen get it repaired and continue to use it for many years.

3. Particle Accelerator

Particle Accelerator Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pro Camera Inc
    618 Forest Street # B
    Charlottesville, VA
    Phone: (434) 979-1915

This guy is great, and very reasonable in price. CLA My Nikon F2 and fixed the meter for $90.00. Also very well versed in multiple types of equipment. Pro level and experienced.

4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you thought about buying another used one, from KEH, etc.

Jeff

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This person seems to specialize in Pentax:

http://www.pentaxs.com/

I might try contacting Pentax Canada to determine if:
    1) they still repair LXs (their website indicates they do) or
    2) who they might recommend.

I note that VanCam in Vancouver is an authorized Pentax warranty and non-warranty repair depot for Pentax 35mm cameras.

6. cfclark

cfclark Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    (To the OP) I've never used his services but I've seen a lot of good comments about the pentaxs.com guy--you might also try pentaxforums.com for suggestions. There's also an APUG user whose profile photo is a shot of an LX, but I can't recall the name offhand--he can probably point you toward a good repair resource.

Funny how we can spend so much time worrying about the mechanical condition of our cameras and never think twice about the straps having issues.

7. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was out in the wildlife preserve here I almost lost a dslr when my strap broke over a railroad bridge, caught it just in time.

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :eek:AAAaaaaaaaaarrrggghh:w00t:wimper-wimper:sick:

9. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The pentaxs.com guy-Eric Hendrickson-has a very good reputation. He likes to make sure things are done right. He has done some great work for me. His prices are reasonable.
    BTW-he is also happy to take donations of Pentax stuff which you don't want, which he can use for parts. I've tossed a few things in the box for him to keep-stuff which I didn't need (I have more than enough 50mm f/2's, for instance) or were for cameras I don't have. I figure he does his best to take care of us, so I'll do what I can in return.

I don't know if you mean me, but I guess I'll do in a pinch, anyway.:smile:

happyjam64-
    did the strap just break, or did something else happen? The LX straps are pretty strong. Did one of the swivel lugs come off its attachment post, or did the strap come off the swivel? I'd make sure that problem gets solved first and foremost. It's possible the technician did not secure one of the swivel lugs onto the camera body by sliding the lock into place after reattaching it.

For now, take out the batteries. Leave them out while sending the camera for repair, in case of an intermittent dead short. I suggest sending a fresh set of batteries, still in their pack, with it. Remove the lens, if any, set the shutter to a high speed, which will be mechanical, and see if the mirror will drop. Though the camera should go in for a thorough checking regardless, restoring some function if possible could make you feel a little better, and if there is no improvement, you have a little better idea what you're up against. If a lens was on it, I'd send the lens to be checked, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2011
  10. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My sentiments exactly.

Unless you meant j-dogg's comment. He said dslr. NBD, then. Long as it's insured.

11. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I couldn't give a rats rump about digischist, they all need to fall in a swamp. Actually, swamps perform a necessary service in our envirnment, melt all the infernal digis.

12. happyjam64

happyjam64 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I think I'll give Mr. Hendrickson a call, I'll unload all my 50mm f2's and see what he can do! haha!
    @lxdude, the camera only came with the strap lugs. So I (unfortunately) just put on a third party generic strap. The strap broke at the point where the actual fabric meets the metal lug of the strap (which then is attached to the LX lug). So, no fault with the LX! :wink:
    Yeah, I've moved the shutter dial, no dice. The mirror is up and it looks like it wants to stay there :sad:. I'll send the camera with the lens because it looks like the lens took most of the damage. There's a dent in the filter threads, but I was able to 'kinda' bend it back into shape, so filters can still be put on. But the lens is probably completely out of alignment...
    As for insurance, I won't be able to afford it now! :wink: Students need to eat!

13. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It will need a thorough checking to restore to spec, but the actual problem may be simple to resolve, i.e., adjustment. Do take out those batteries if you haven't yet. Get a good strong strap-they're about 20 bucks or so.
    Eric should be able to straighten out those filter threads as part of everything.

And, my condolences. A painful experience, no doubt.

14. cfclark

cfclark Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yep--don't know why I blanked on that, but thanks for stepping in. :D I must be getting old, the memory's going.