Waterproof film container/box, where/who sells them?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by NickSimcheck, Mar 17, 2010.

1. NickSimcheck

NickSimcheck Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've google'd my brains out for the last hour, and I cannot find a film canister/container/box/whatever that holds rolls in bulk (5 or 6 rolls) and is preferably waterproof. Nothing for 120 either.

Only things I have found are some black 120 tubes, but they are for just a single roll.

Anybody know where/who sells something like what I'm looking for? I know I've seen them before.

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try Porters camera -- look in the film and darkroom accrssories. I was just looking there and saw some containers.

Rick

3. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Hikingman

Hikingman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This waterproof case might hold four bulk rolls? Not sure of bulk roll dimensions...

5. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In surplus stores you can find cheaply a decontamination kit which is waterproof and can be carried on a belt, if desired. It's just an isopropyl alcohol vial and pads.Take out the contents and it will hold 5 -6 rolls of 120 or 220 in wrapper.

6. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Try the very small Pelican cases that hold iPods, cell phones, etc.

7. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. monodave

monodave Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use Ortlieb map cases. They are 100% waterproof and very light but strong. They make some very large ones; I use A3 size ones and bought over web. Dave

9. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought a Pelican #1020 as a waterproof case for a GPS, it will hold 5-120 rolls easily probably 8-10 rolls of 35 depending how they're arranged. It's a tad bit oversized for it but, Oh well.
    They ain't cheap at around $20 but should last a lifetime. I got mine at REI outfitters.
    Some small fishing or shooting boxes will also work. I got the Pelican because the top is clear not opaque.

10. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A couple of ideas. This case is made by Fuji and sold at Japan Exposures. It holds ten and has a push on lid. I've never held it under water, but it's certainly splash proof:
    [​IMG]

This case is no longer sold but holds 6 rolls with a much tighter seal and a clasp. Again, never tried it under water, but it certainly seems water tight. This cases are still sold, they now form part of a camera 'cleaning kit' containing a cloth, blower, and some fluid and can be found on places like Amazon. The case is curved like a hip flask and fits well into a pocket:
    [​IMG]

11. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I keep my film and darkslides in a series of Lock n Lock food containers - they are both waterproof & dustproof - http://www.locknlock.com.au/products_c.php?cate1=1

They come in a wide range of sizes and are inexpensive

Don't know where you are in the world but Google should find you a local supplier

Martin

12. nyoung

nyoung Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My friendly neighborhood Walmart stocks some clear plastic waterproof boxes in two sizes in the camping gear section. The large one holds a RB67 magazine and 10 or so loose rolls of 120 while it floats around in the ice chest. Less that $10 each IIRC.

13. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about this : http://www.fotoimpex.de/catalogus/files/page57-1015-full.html (at the top right of the page), not for bulk but for individual rolls. You can store the canisters in zip lock plastic bags, one bag for exposed — and one for non exposed films, so they can't get mixed up.
    BTW Adox is an APUG sponsor…

Philippe