"We proccess film" is becoming a rare sign

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by laser, Sep 24, 2012.

1. laser

laser Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

Attached Files:

2. Double Negative

Double Negative Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That's awesome. Glad to see it.

I was recently in Newport (Rhode Island) and delighted at seeing a sign that read, "Camera Film." :smile:

3. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Maybe I will stick one on my front door...

4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

Jeff

5. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When in Caernarvon earlier this year I took a shot of a touristy shop that still had a large, old sign above the door saying simply "Films". I had it in mind to take such photos whenever I see them but I haven't seen any others since.
    Steve

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I posted that (same or similar) several months ago. Our Walgreen's is proud to announce that they still process film... and have been doing such advertisement for the past 8 months or so.

Attached Files:

7. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    They process instant cameras! Does that mean disposables? And "rolled film"?? I am assuming these terms are some of the differences between US and UK english (I am British btw) otherwise it would not inspire confidence in the processing service :smile:

8. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Martin... I suspect that the message writer is neither American nor British in origin. By "rolled" they mean 35mm cassette and by "instant" they indeed mean disposable. When one lives in a multi-cultural, multi-lingual society then one needs to be a bit forgiving with regard to language skills. ... and add to that "multi-generational"... in many camera stores today they've only "heard about" film before. :smile:

9. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Add to that the fact that a great number of native-born, English-as-a-first-language people can not spell, punctuate, or assemble a sentence correctly.:blink:

10. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh, fair enough. Through the ambiguity I was wildly optimistic that they had a machine for 120 too. The last place I saw a one-hour type place that did 120 as well as 135 was in Arles - and they did an extremely good job too.

Slightly connected, I went to the local supermarket (in my medium sized town 160k people) and heard the cashier slip in to English to another customer. I asked about that (in Dutch of course) and she said that to work on the till you had to speak at least Dutch, German and English . . . I was surprised somewhat!

11. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I should add that after reading some British publications, it's clear to me that lots of people in England are no better at their language than we are!

12. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe it is theoretically possible, but they won't touch 120 film.

13. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Thank God film, like music, has no language barrier.

14. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To be fair, that "rolled" is not bad at all.

Why is there roll-film and type-135? For historic reasons of course. But both are rolled.
    As rollfilm is no longer feasable as generic term, and "rolled film" is ambiguous I use "spooled film".

I must admit I don't see the idea behind that "Instant" camera. Aside of a language issue as indicated above, could there be another reason? I'm usally slow on the uptake. (I would not even have thought of single-use cameras.)

By the way: "disposible camera" is no good term either: from the point of the user, it is not disposed but handed in for processing. From the point of the lab, it is recycled. (I got such cameras, that just got new film, battery and paper cover and were back on sale.)

15. bob100684

bob100684 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    "one time use camera" is what every lab I've worked for calls them.

16. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I almost crashed my car yesterday driving past a drugstore who has a "electronic moving message sign" announcing that they still process 110 and 126 film. One day I'll have to go in and meet the photo people to see if they sell any of those formats.

17. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was thinking the same thing. Great minds and all that. :D

18. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    My mother and father wasted ten thousands of dollars to English courses and my teenager years was a torture. But I learned that English as much as I can write and understand at APUG. Now its time for German and Russian.

19. John cox

John cox Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I was doing electrical experiments I would go to local labs and ask for used disposable cameras with flashes and cannibalize them for the capacitors and charging circuits. I would advise against this as I got electrocuted like 20 times over the course of these projects.
    I Also used the glass (plastic) lenses from these to make sharper home made (pinhole) cameras. I got some great results. -Again don't do this as you could get a lethal zap from the capacitor when you take the camera apart.