Weather where you are

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by cliveh, Jul 24, 2013.

1. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    What's the weather doing where you are? Here in West Cornwall, England it's about 70F and raining quite hard.

2. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Istanbul was windy and sunny during last week. We call these winds karayel , black wind. Now its göne and today was the hottest day in 3 months past. Now it is ramadan and people stay hungry from 3AM to 9PM. My sister lives at Paris and she says hot and rainy.

3. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    NC/SC border east of Charlotte--91 degrees and the mosquitos and no-see-ems are out in full glory. Guaranteed to be eaten alive, even inside your socks and in bed.

4. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Afternoon, Clive,

Here in the St. Louis area today, it's totally cloudless and in the low 70's. I just returned from an hour or so on the bike trail where I found the north breeze a bit too cool for my taste. Yesterday (mid-90's with humidity) was much preferable for biking, but at least the cloudy, rainy, stormy weather we had earlier in the summer seems to have gone. Overall, spring and summer have been cooler and wetter than normal, in contrast to last year's great summer when many highs of over 100 degrees were recorded.

Konical

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RI (coastal) ...
    hot as hades, humid as a swamp.
    it rained last night, not much help tho

6. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After the T storms rolled through last night, we had low 50's over night and high of 75 this afternoon. It's supposed to drop into the mid 40's tonight, more like mid to late September weather than the dog days we should be experiencing.

7. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Inland Southern California- 92 degrees F right where I am, 33% humidity, no chance of rain, wind WNW @5-10 MPH. Nice day. I prefer less humidity, but that's just me.
    Being close to desert, mountains and beaches, plus lots of elevation differences, it's pretty easy to find different conditions. High temperatures can vary around town 5 degrees this time of year.
    It's of course hotter 30 miles east where the low desert starts, but still moderate for July; Palm Springs is at 104F. Looking out the window I see lots of clouds over the mountains to the northeast, about 25 miles straight-line; so they might be getting rain, as well might the high desert another 10 miles or so on the other side. The mountain rains are delightful when you're up there; it rains and then the clouds move on, leaving everything sparkling and cooled off. The desert rains are dramatic, with lots of lightning and drenching rain, and utterly stifling humidity after, which is a trip because humidity might well be in the 5% range just before the clouds form.
    It rained here on the 20th- very unusual. We almost never get more than a trace in the summer. Sure was nice.

8. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Always nice here in Australia! Mid winter days bring a morning frost and nice clear sunny days...around 18 deg Celsius yesterday, same today I believe. Winter is a great time of year for the low light, we are far enough south to get a reasonable winter.

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After we omitted spring this year, now in late July it is getting really hot. And time for swimming in the lakes. Something I could do in the past as early as in May...

At the end of June I had to crank up the heating!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013
  10. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ditto here in Adelaide.
    Middle of winter, 16* and partly cloudy today, 7 overnight and sunny 17 tomorrow. Too bad I'm stuck in the office weekdays.
    At least it's finally dry enough to ride my bike to work, but still a bit nipply in the morning (good timing too, petrol just hit $1.65/L).
    I almost did today (but tomorrow I definitely will) throw my new Retina in the bag to test on some sunrise/sunset shots.

*Yes yanks, that's Celcius.

11. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only 7 in Melbourne this morning. A bit crispy, but a beautiful bright sunny day.

12. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Not quite 60F on a nice sunny day here on California's northern coast (275 miles north of San Francisco). Heading off to Southern CA coast for a week -- looks like it will be mid-70's with an ocean temp of 68F. Will be doing a bit (actually a lot!) of body-surfing!

13. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    67 degrees in the Cleveland area - quite cool for this time of year. Very nice and clear day - great for photography, but I'm ill at the moment.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It was sunny and around 80F today in the DC area--a welcome break from the 90's, tropical humidity, and constant thunderstorms.

16. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Very good sunset tonight here in Eureka!

17. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Our usual July weather - foggy and cold.

18. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Foggy and cold in July is inconceivable to me, anywhere. To me July is a month where you're panting for breath, soaked in sweat, greasy, and miserable.

19. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'll repeat the famous line of Mark Twain: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco". I'm directly across the Bay from
    the Golden Gate, so it's even colder here where the wind and evening fog cuts thru. Our local term for it is, "natural air conditioning". The hotter
    inland California gets, the more the marine layer is drawn into here, until the fog backs up against the coastal hills. We generally get our warm
    weather in Oct, as the differential between the inland climate reaches equilibrium. These marine fogs are soft and enveloping and not at all
    clammy and dark like the tule fogs of the Central Valley in winter. They're like a natural softbox, changing throughout the day and according
    to altitude on the hills. Wonderful for both color and b&w photog. And its the fog that made our redwoods the tallest trees on earth - they're
    essentially fog-collection machines, with the boughs and needed engineered to collect fog and drip in toward the root system. You can be
    walking under the redwoods in the summer and have it rain on you. Conversely, in the winter it can be actually raining and the redwoods will
    act like a big umbrella. Many times I've set up a view camera under the canopy of a big redwood in the rain.

20. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  21. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hamburg is hot and sunny last couple of days: close to 30C everyday. Unusual for this city - but good, I like it, I can use iso 25 for a change :smile:

22. P C Headland

P C Headland Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You should try it here then: fine and relatively calm (weather-wise and underfoot - the earth's not shaking so much now!) and 13C. Mind you, July is mid winter.

23. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Beautiful here

In the little Village I live in west and south of Ottawa, Almonte, it is perfect today. Supposed to be 26C today with big fluffy clouds. So far have seen deer and rabbits in the filed outside our house. Great day to shoot I think. Don

24. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take some red or orange filter :smile: and shoot.

25. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I sometimes wonder if people in Australia and New Zealand and such places laugh at the rest of the Anglo and European world who have visions of Santa Claus, sleigh bells, and winter wonderland, and the like at Christmas. At Christmas, people in Australia are sweating like pigs and fighting mosquito bites (presumably).:munch:

26. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm reminded of the movie "Good Morning, Vietnam" wherein the DJ describes how hot it is. Usually, we'll have a sea breeze in late afternoon or even a shower, but the latter just adds to the humidity. Too hot to work in the darkroom located in garage, and too hot outdoors except early morning. But of course then the no-see-ums are plentiful.