"Weegee Shootout 2008"

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by Sjixxxy, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Figured I'd start a new thread on this since the resparking of the "Apug International Annual Wee Gee Shootout" thread.

Obviously, I like this idea. I don't mind people buying Press Cameras as a cheap way to get into large format one bit, but it does kind of leave me sad if they don't ever point it away from the trees and mountains, or remove it from the tri-pod and to let it roam free. In my experiences, I've had the most fun ever in photography using a big press camera shoot spontaneously.

So, I'm just going to kick it off with some random ideas I've had on the subject on how to go through with this.

1. I don't think we need to tie the name Weegee to it. "2008 Press Camera Shootout" or something to that effect could be more universal. I have plenty of books from the period from many other photographers then Weegee, and the images are still great. Even the one's shot during the day!

2. I'd be willing to buy a new domain once a good name is picked and host a web site on my server for this. A simple forum & gallery package is all we'd need initially. Simple to get rolling, and if it a success, would be great to expand for annual/semi-annual events.

3. Instead of one month as the original concept suggested, I think a three month period would be better for a round.

4. Some sort of voting scheme after a round. A handful of volunteer jurors, both photographers & non photographer maybe?

5. A prize for the winner. I got a couple of ideas that aren't horribly expensive.

- A book of photos could be a good item. Getting a second copy of the Weegee books, or the 1950 "Complete Book of Press Photography" that I own would be affordable, and be on topic.

- A box of 4x5 film for the winner.

- Hell, I'd be willing to give away a Speed Graphic if I could get hold of another one with lens for $100.

Some ideas on rules.

1) No Weegee-style standard. Tri-pods are cool, and so is not using a flash. I think the angle should be human interest with a big camera. I've worked fast without a flash, on a tripod covering events before, and got great results. And I've also seen a lot of handheld work that would have been better suited to use a tri-pod. So I don't think we should limit anyone to a specific technique to get a good story onto a sheet of film.

2) One official entry per person? We can set up a gallery to display as many shoots taken for the contest as we like to share & discuss, but when it comes down to the end. Only what the photographer thinks is their best from the shooting period should go against the judging. Agree? Disagree?

3) Camera limitations? I hate to exclude anyone who doesn't own a big press camera, but from my experiences, it just isn't the same experience, or the same results when using a 35mm. This will take some discussion to pin down where the cut off point on film format/camera style should be, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

That is all I got for now. I'd like to shoot for a May through July shooting period if possible. That should be long enough before hand to get our gear in order and take some warm up shots right?

2. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    ok sounds good! Jump right in, get cher feet really wet, I have been doing my wee gee bit from time to time since the International post; even found a smokey cigar shop down town I didn t know existed, when I feel the need to accessorize! :smile:

I am using a crown graphic and a 90 mm and a xenar 135 f4.7, and a Heiland Flash-which I havent used yet, but have used a Vivitar 285.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2008
  3. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    WHAT! No cigars? No #PH 50 screwbase flashbulbs? Tripods allowed??

I guess I'm a fool for nostalgia. I was quite drawn to the original hand held wee-gee idea. I'd even add the clock should stop at 1959 for lenses. Get out those Lanthar's.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, at least cigar chomping should be a requirement. No photographs accepted unless the photographer was chomping on a cigar (doesn't have to be lit, of course, and no one has to inhale). Cigar must be submitted with the image. Extra points for fedoras and trench coats.

And remember, never throw a lit cigar on the ground at the scene of a car crash, because there might be gasoline all over the road.

5. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format

Agreed Jim, I traded a full box of 120 bulbs to J and C before I started this project so am in the market for some, just for the sake of interest etc. Thre are some NYC street photographers that still use the Crowns and the Flash for street portraits.

6. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Should we require that the negatives be developed in the trunk of your car immediatly after shooting as well?

7. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Negatives should be developed in hot Dektol, printed wet, and the prints should be developed in the same Dektol.

8. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    And develop negatives in Dektol?

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can I use my Koni-Omega? In spirit it is sort of like a Speed, and the size is getting there too. :smile:

Matt

P.S. I'd have to resort to a Metz 60 series flash as well - is that big enough?

10. gordrob

gordrob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak use to package Dektol developer in their Tri Chem Packs that were included in their kits targeted for beginners. The Dektol Developer was to be used as a paper developer and for processing Verichrome Pan film. It was also a recommended developer for rapid speed films.

Gord

11. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember the Tri-chem packs. Graduating from those to "real" chemicals (those sold individually and in 1/2 to 1 gal size) was a rite of passage.

BTW, this might be of interest: http://museum.icp.org/museum/collections/special/weegee/

12. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have the trench coat, the fedora, the Speed Graphic, the Heiland flash, the bulbs, the film packs (!), and the uncoated lenses.

OF COURSE I'm in!

BTW - two of my holiday snaps from last years' trip to Italy in my gallery here were shot hand held. On colour slides, no less...

13. MartinB

MartinB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ole,

I hope you don't wander around the oil drilling platform like that! No telling what the rig workers may do when the flash goes off :smile:

BTW - Eric is organizing a Wee Gee shoot out in Calgary on Feb 29. So far 3 so we will have a pack of press photogs - loopy leap year

Martin

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm in, but I quit smoking, i'm too short to look good in a trench, don't own a suitable hat, I can't sync flashbulbs to my speed, and the only lens I have cam'd for the speed is in toronto. I suppose I can zone focus a 75mm or focus on an area of potential and wait for the show to begin.

Anyone interested in organizing a Vancouver outing?

16. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hey JD come to Calgary and bang elbows with the big dogs! What's this you quit smoking!!?? Geez that must have been tough for your sweetie LOL.

As Martin said the Calgary Large Format Users Group will be out in full regalia this coming Friday night. You will be able to hear the sounds of locust as we swarm unsuspecting denizens of the frosty Calgary night. I might even have to break out one of my cigars for the occasion.

The Tech IV is sitting on the kitchen table fitted out with Nikkor 135mm lens and Metz 45CT4 flash. I don't have a cam for the lens so will be zone focusing.

f8 and we'll be there!

17. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    JD, think what WeeGee would be today and go modern. Baggy pants half-down the butt, grungy shoes/shirt, laces untied, cockeyed ball cap or stocking hat, plenty of visible piercings. And a wisp of goatee in place of the cigar. :rolleyes:

18. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    And a D<whaterver>/<whatever>d in his hand? Oh the horror.

I did a little preseason warm-up shooting yesterday. It appears that I got some light leaks to kill. hrmph.

19. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    For true Wee Gee style I feel that shots should be taken at night. I know he did some manzie panzie put food on the table daylight shots, but the REAL Wee Gee stuff was done at night.

Come on don't be a wuss!! Do it in the dark!!

20. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Any idea where we can get those "invisible light" bulbs?

21. Bobby Ironsights

Bobby Ironsights Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Geez SKJXXXY!!!

I don't mean any disrespect to vagina's when I say, I think you shouldn't be so quick to pussy out.

Why not call it the WEEGEE challenge?
    Why not make it handheld?

I really like your original ideas best, and I don't think you should compromise your vision in order to make it seemingly more accessible. As long as you dont require a specific model of press camera, or require that we use original flashbulbs, It's already pretty gosh darn accessible!

We should use press cameras handheld!:D

I'm in!

22. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Sunpak flash has an optional infrared head. I'm planning to try it out with some 120-roll film before I use my life's savings to buy sheet.
    juan

23. Troy

Troy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm in. Tell me more!

24. tpersin

tpersin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think this sounds great, I'd even outfit my Crown Graphic with a lens to participate! I too like the handheld idea/restriction and am indifferent to a flash requirement. I think instead of official jurors it would be great to have everyone who submitted an image vote -a jury of peers so to speak....

if you want to try out the first round w/out going to the trouble of setting up a new forum/url/gallery, I'd be happy to be a 'test host' and use the f295 alt-forum section... while not *officially* an alternative process, I think hand-held press cameras are certainly bordering on it! could easily set up a new category for the images...... in the f295 fora anyone whose a member (free membership) can post images, only restriction is each can not exceed 100k.

either way, I"m in to participate in this... sounds like fun!

25. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Check the original thread again. The original "Weegee" only vision wasn't mine. So I'm not pussing out on any of my visions. I've seen tons of great press work from the period done with large format press cameras that weren't by Weegee. He maybe be the most noted for using one, but he certainly didn’t have the monopoly on it. My vision when I brought this back up is more about the use of the gear in human interest photography where each shooter can pull whatever influence they want from Weegee, or any other press photographers of the period that they want to achieve their own vision, instead of forcing everyone to try and see with Weegee's eyes.

Though, I'm glad you started some discussion on it with those snide remarks. These are the details I want to work out before syaing "Lets go."

26. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have a package waiting for me at home with hardware that will let me convert my flash to infrared. I just strait in with sheet film, but I'm pretty sure I'll be cutting sheets in half until I get everything calibarted.