Wein Cell.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is probably a dumb question but can you replace the green tab on a WC to stop it from running down?

2. sun of sand

sun of sand Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've done that, Mike
    It must lessen the reaction. I believe they state that it DOES improve lifetime right on the package.

With my OM-1 I get a good 7-12 months out of the battery, though. I make sure the meter ON/OFF is kept at OFF unless actually metering.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, that works, if you don't mind going to the trouble of doing it.

4. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get good life out of my Capital D-1 with a Wein in it. 'Bout the same as SOS, 10-12 months. I change it on my birthday whether it's working or not.

5. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I change the Wienn cells in my Canon FTb's, and all the other batteries in my cameras and other photographic equipment on my birthday, I know this is wasteful , but I never have problems with them failing.

6. marsbars

marsbars Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have heard that will add to the life of the battery, however I have switched to using the zinc hearing aid batteries with a rubber O-ring to adjust to the correct diameter. I can get a pack of 10 for the price of 3 wien cells. And they seem to last just about as long. Sometimes have to add a small piece of foil to get a good connection but that isn't an issue.

7. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The washer from a Wein cell will pop off and then slip back over a 675 zinc air hearing aid battery. This works well for cameras which have an edge contact in the battery compartment. O-rings work well if it's a center contact battery compartment.

The exhaustion rate of zinc air batteries is also dependent on heat/cold and humidity. Under some conditions they last only a couple of months, under other conditions a year or more.

Lee

8. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Lee.
    The only problem with standard zinc air cell batteries is that they are too big for my Honeywell Spotmatic.I found a great site by Microbattery.com which showes the actual dimensions of hearing aid batteries.Ordered 312 zinc air.

9. polaski

polaski Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not a dumb question

It simply removes additional air from the zinc air equation.

10. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The last time I sent my OM-1 for a CLA, I had it adapted to take an SR/LR44 cell. No more Wein Cell problems.