Weird RF focusing problem!

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by rustyair, Apr 12, 2014.

1. rustyair

rustyair Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just received a Fuji GS645 fold medium format camera and the focusing is weird...

When I look inside of viewfinder, the translucent part/patch is on the left to subject and it moves to right when I start to turn the focus ring clockwise. It changes from seeing a double image to the two images being completely aligned.....of course...and then when I turn the focus ring all the way to right than the translucent also move to the right side of the subject but the problem is when I turn the focus ring back to left, the translucent part won't move until I close the lens and reopen. The rangefinder patch is just stuck at the right corner....The lens moves back and forth tho.

When I turn the focus ring about 70% to the right then if I turn it back to left, the translucent part does moves to left.

There's no battery or film in the camera but I don't think they are causing the problem with focusing...wouldn't they? I've heard the battery is for meter only...

Does anyone know what's causing this?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
  2. bernard_L

bernard_L Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Optimistic guess: dried-up lubricant makes the RF mirror stick at one end of its travel. Pessimistic (and unlikely) guess; some part bent or worn out of shape causing friction at end of travel. Remedies: a) work the focusing mechanism back and forth, hoping to free the stuck lubricant; b) return to seller; c) repair (self or professional)

3. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Camera needs CLA--old lubricant and dirt. Seen it a million times to where there's no point in even asking about this kind of thing any more. Always the same answer. There is no other answer.

4. rustyair

rustyair Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thank you. I will look in to that.

5. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have another answer....buy a Bessa R. You'll thank me afterwards. I have spent many hundreds of dollars on CLAs for Russian cameras and not one of them worked right, no matter who did the work. Oleg, Fedka, etc. I have spent zero dollars repairing Bessa R cameras, and every one of them worked perfectly as soon as I unpacked it. Others may have had different results, this is mine.

6. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Definitely get a CLA - the Fuji rangefinders are great little medium format cameras. Worth it.

7. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The OP has a Fuji, which I believe is Japanese... and medium format.
    Tangentially, my Kiev functions just as it should and shows every sign that this state will continue indefinitely. :smile:

On topic, there is stiff lubricant in the RF mechanism, it needs cleaning.

8. rustyair

rustyair Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks guys.

Is it okay to change the shutter speed when the wind lever is cocked?