Welcome Back APUGers! Please take a moment to read this post.

Discussion in 'APUG System Announcements' started by Sean, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello All,

The site upgrades are still in progress but at a level that we can re-open. If anything major arises we may have to temporarily lock the site to investigate and resolve. This would primarily be related to server or member access issues.

*PLEASE CLICK HERE TO REPORT ANY GLITCHES IN THE BUG THREAD*

This architecture runs modern codes, so if you are using an ancient browser such as Internet Explorer 6 you will likely have problems. Please contact us and we'll see what we can do help. I personally find the site is best on the latest version of Firefox.

There really is too much to list in regards to the new site. I figured you would rather the site be back up and running than me explain every little detail of what has changed. We have not re-invented the wheel, you should recognize many familiar functions and discover new functionality as you use the site.

The most noticeable:
    -APUG has been completely rebuilt from the ground up including design and branding. Currently the APUG logo showcases a piece of sheet film, from time to time many analog objects will make an appearance in the logo.
    -You will see a new members area at the top right of APUG, this ties into new posts notifications (for PM's, group invites and more), a link to your settings.
    -Some major Gallery improvements (notice the gallery menu option for multi-delete of your images).
    -A new links system and we are working to migrate the old links over.
    -We have tighter integration between all apps.
    -Better profile pages.
    -Enhanced customizable blogs, group blogs can be created by members
    -The "Chat Room" menu tab will display a live count of chatroom participants.
    -Google search as default site search, this takes a load off the server and provides great results, click "Advanced Search" for the standard forum search tool.
    -Sidebar improvements, be sure to click "configure sidebar" at the bottom of your sidebar to add or adjust new blocks.
    -Back end systems contain massive improvements across the board to help with site admin, spam control and moderation.

Some functionality has not been enabled yet and will be rolling out over the coming days. Some pages or links may be broken so also feel free to report this. There is also a point release of the forum software due out this week (contains over 50 bug fixes) so I may apply this patch when released.

Some new functionality to expect soon:
    -tie APUG into your facebook (optional)
    -user feedback system for classifieds
    -selective forum filter
    -Best of APUG wiki style system. This system allows us to "promote" a forum post into it. The post remains in the forums but also becomes listed in the wiki. This will enable us to create a directory of our best content. We can then, for example, direct a noobie to the wiki post "Why are my negs purple?"
    -mobile device access, WAP upgrade and tapatalk support for iPhone, Blackberry, Android and Nokia coming soon
    -chatroom "who's currently chatting?" page
    -additional site theme options for making the site grey or dark
    -and other misc additions

In closing..

All core systems, 3rd party applications, graphics and APUG custom modifications have been either upgraded or re-coded from scratch. This development took months, 100's of hours and a fair bit of expense (softwares and freelance coding). To be honest the expense was not something easily covered by advertising and subscriptions. In other words we would not turn away any donations to help get us back in the black, so if you feel compelled to donate you can do so by clicking here. It would be greatly appreciated to say the least.

Please keep in mind the upgrades were vast and we will come across unforeseen issues over the next few days. We will work through each issue as it arises.

I hope you enjoy the new APUG!

Thanks again for your patience during the upgrades!

Sean

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2010
  2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks great so far Sean - get some sleep!

3. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Sean !!!

4. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys! Yeah I'm pretty beat. I'll keep watch for a bit just to make sure nothing it out of whack, then get some rest. Still a bit of tweaking to do. Someone already suggested more visibility on mouse over links so will check into that.

5. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all your work, Sean. It looks great so far.

6. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "You got a bunch of guys about to turn blue. We're breathing again. Thanks a lot!" -- Charles Duke, July 20, 1969

Ken

7. Craig Swensson

Craig Swensson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Big effort, looks great, well done,thank you

8. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can well imagine the amount of work that goes on rebuilding forums from scratch. Have heard about it in other forums locally and who have not been as successful. This redev. is quite sharp and snazzy. But much the same shades of grey are still there. Could really do with more colour; it's not a monochrome world...
    But I really do like the clean layout and crispness of navigation which is familiar to me being a member of several other forums; it's very professional and organised in its first-on appearance — easygoing and modern.

Not sure when APUG went down; I got severely distracted late last Thursday and didn't get back to the web. But at least we would have got some creative photography done while APUG was down for the count. Didn't we...!?

9. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not sure when APUG went down; I got severely distracted late last Thursday and didn't get back to the web. But at least we would have got some creative photography done while APUG was down for the count. Didn't we...!?

I wish! It's too hot and hazy over here to get anything interesting.

And I like the new redesign -- very familiar (love the greys of APUG, I think it sets it apart from other forums) yet modern.

10. maarten m

maarten m Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks!

11. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad APUG is back. I can imagine what this has taken to redo and in reading what Sean posted in #1, I am looking forward to using the new site.

Thank you Sean.

12. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good work guys!

13. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a dinosaur dial upper (spend my money on analogue photography) "upgrade" sometimes worries me. I'm pleased that the new APUG protocol is fast and nicely designed to be viewed on Safari 3.0.4.

Thanks Sean.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks great Sean. Many thanks for all the hard work.

16. mono

mono Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I missed APUG so much during the last days!!
    Thanx a lot, Sean!

17. ajmiller

ajmiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The habit of clicking on the apug link in my bookmarks didn't stop whilst the site was down - glad that error box has gone. Apug looks great - well done to all involved. Normally when changes are made to a site it takes me a while to get used to - but you've succeeded in transitioning a change whilst retaining an 'apug' feel. Congrats and thanks for your hard work.

18. Andy38

Andy38 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Great work !

Thank you, Sean !

19. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lot's of tweaking and bug fixes ahead, but we'll get there. Should be smooth sailing in a week or two once the dust settles..

20. Aklens200

Aklens200 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Great to have APUG back, you did a great job! Three beers for Sean!!

21. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It all looks great from here. The only problem I had was in the messages. I composed a message and before I sent it I pressed the ABC Check spell checker and the message I wrote disappeared, twice. It seems to work here though in the thread creation. I do have it installed but I noticed that when I use the icon in this header it has a pop up that tells me where to download and install it.

Curt

As an update the icon for ABC with a green check looks like the ieSpell icon so I have both spell programs and it looks like if I choose the ABC Check instead of the ieSpell it will delete my message only in the send a private message creation screen. Both work here in the thread creation and reply.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010
  22. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Works well in Safari for iPhone too

Interestingly, the new-look forum works very well in Safari on iPhone 3G.
    Yes, I do browse/post when having a coffee/lunch break! I never cottoned-on technically to the oddball WAP forum. :rolleyes:

23. Matus Kalisky

Matus Kalisky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks nice - good work!

However, I am not able to locate the "my posts" button in the Forum section. It was very useful. Is this feature gone or it is just relocated?

24. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It will be back shortly, thanks :smile:

25. samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sean - Thank you for all your hard work - you sure deserve a whole load of gratitude!!! It looks and feels great. Get some rest and take care of your back pain.
    for now,
    cheers!
    sam

26. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Sean,

I'm happy to hear that MY Post, will soon return.
    But the Online / Offline indicator is missing also.

The new look is quite elegant, but I miss the previous APUG Logo.
    This new version seems to be too bland.

Ron