Well who would have thought it

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Adrian Twiss, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As the unhappy owner of a Durst L1200 with multigraph head I posted a message asking if anyone wanted to swap the multigraph head for a VLS head or Ilford module.

As I expected I heard nothing, nada, bugger all. Then suddenly, quite out of the blue, this charming chap drops me an email offering to swap his VLS head for mine. I nearly choked on my Wallmart pasta bake when I read it.

It gets better. By shear good luck the owner was coming over to the UK and brings the enlarger with him. After a rather warm evening (it was 30 deg C in my darkroom) disassembling and re-assembling our respective enlargers I am now the proud (and very happy) owner of a Laborator L1200 with VLS 500 head.

Deep joy!!!! :D :D :D

Michael, many many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2006
  2. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adrian

Yes, we saw it in the back of his car, ready to deliver on the Ilford factory tour. Did he show you the panoramic motorised monster too?

Phill

3. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure did. What an amazing piece of kit. He even demonstrated it outside my house. He has a negative of me grinning like an idiot in two places at once.

I must admit I was initially quite surprised that he brought the whole enlarger with him but as they are different colours I understand why he did. Condition wise there was nothing to separate them.

4. Petzi

Petzi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Adrian,

glad you like it. :D

The trip was real fun. Visiting the Ilford factory, then getting a Multigraph, after that a weekend in the Lake District (where I shot about 40 rolls of 220 film.)

It's a VLS 501 head by the way.

5. Petzi

Petzi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    That's not a monster! I can hold it in my hand (though not for shooting.)

6. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You have WalMarts in England? I thought that was only inflicted on we barbarous colonists!

7. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sort of.... WalMart bought out a UK supermarket chain a couple of years back: Asda - one of the smaller chains. I've never been in one but I guess they may sell Walmart branded stuff in them now even though they are still called "Asda".

Cheers, Bob.