West (by God) Virginia advise?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Bill Mitchell, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Bill Mitchell

Bill Mitchell Member

Several years ago I drove through Harper's Ferry (on my way to somewhere else), and stopped for a few minutes to shoot some Kodachromes. Since then I've lusted for the opportunity to go back and do it right (in B&W with a view camera) and spend several days there, with a day-trip to Antietam Battlefield. This year I hope to actually take a couple of weeks in late April/early May and would appreciate suggestions for other interesting/historical/scenic settings in West Virginia.

2. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Right within the Eastern Panhandle area there are lots of things/places of interest. Some things that come readily to mind: A neat old gristmill in Shepherdstown, lots of barns replete with "Mail Pouch" signs, etc. One book that I know of that is helpful is "Off the Beaten Path" don't remember any details. I am in that area 10-14 times a year and do a good bit of shooting in my free time so if you want to pm me for more details I can help.

3. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Pat Gainer a member of this forum lives in West Virginia. Perhaps he will respond.

4. Bill Hahn

Bill Hahn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Some ideas re Harper's Ferry, Antietam

The Kennedy Farm - about 4 miles north of Harper's Ferry, where John Brown and his men hid out before the raid in 1858. I believe it's privately owned - google for "Kennedy Farm" and "John Brown" for the details.

Antietam - Burnside's Bridge area, go across to the heights west of the creek and look down.
    Somewhere in that vicinity is a huge monument to Sergeant Willliam McKinley, who apparently served coffee while under fire. It's nice to be the president.

My family owns some land near Pickens, West Virginia, but it's been 40 years since I was in that vicinity....