West level or pentaprism in Mamyia M645?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by alexfoto, Aug 31, 2011.

1. alexfoto

alexfoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello to all, i just purchase the above camera with west level because i wand to travel light and i fill better looking truth the west level, but the problem is i can't take easy vertical shoot with that combo. The shop shale me the pentaprism with extra 50 euro and return the west level, what do you think. I take the camera and 80mm 2.8, 120 magazine for 300 euro. Thank you all.

2. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Trade it for a Mamiya RB or RZ with a rotating back instead :wink:

3. alexfoto

alexfoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its more heavy, i travel with bike long distance trip, and also more expensive, its better for me to spend the money for trip, thank you anyway.

4. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ouch! That's a bunch of money for the old style Mamiya 645. Frankly, a WLF is pretty much useless on a 645 unless you want to shoot nothing but landscape-oriented(horizontal)images. I'd try to get a better deal on the swap for a prism finder.

5. alexfoto

alexfoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes i now but here in Europe a 645 in good condition is expensive, so you think is better i take the pentaprism?

6. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd say yes. It will add some weight but will also increase the flexibility of your camera. Think about shooting a 35mm camera with only a WLF--not easy, right?

7. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I have not yet used the waist level finder on my M645 but the metered pentaprism does add a lot of weight. (it feels like 2x the weight)

The advantage of the prism is for portrait/vertical shots and for the meter.

The advantage of the waist level is less weight and smaller size for carrying.

If I were in your position I would keep the waist level finder and search for a prism finder later on. I think 50 euros and return of the WLF seems too high priced.

I don't take many vertical shots with my 645 -- maybe 1 of 10.

8. alexfoto

alexfoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you, i think you have right, i compose better with west level (bright and big view ) any way and the most pictures is in horizontal position.

9. photophil

photophil Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    and I have made the experience that when you are using a tripod (wat I do quite often for MF) the WLF is still usable for portrait format. Just the combination of portrait and handhold is a bit ... let's say ... tricky :smile:

PHILIP

10. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the suggestion of the big heavy RB was a joke, but if a different camera is a real possibility and you prefer the waist level, I'd suggest a 6x6. You can crop in printing, whether optical or digital.

But for 645 I agree, a prism is more versatile. I'm not familiar with the Mamiya system but if, as someone said, the metered prism is a lot of extra weight, is there a non-metered prism that isn't so heavy?

11. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think you should check KEH, I just picked up a TTL prism for my new 645 Super for $49. I'm sure non-TTL ones are cheaper.

12. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Like already said, 9 out of 10 photos will be horizontal (landscape) so if you like the WLF stick with it, save for a prism (metered or not). I have both with my Mamiya and they both have their virtues. Congrats on your new camera!

13. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had both a M645 and the 1000S models loved the 1000S over the M but back to the point. Travel light, wlf is good for that. Mine had fold up speed frames on the wlf set for the 80mm. Set focus fold dowm the wlf and fold up the wires, mostly I just cropped the imaes.

Later I found the clip on mask for the speed frame wires showing the 50, 80 and150 frame lines. It was about the size of a 35mm slide and just clipped on.

Sold both riggs to KEH at a photo show, they told me the wlf w/ the frame lines would bring more than the camera bodies. I then purchased a 500cm and have spent way to much. I miss my 1000s.

Lee

14. SafetyBob

SafetyBob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I agree with most here, keep your WLF and have fun on your bike trip. While on your trip keep track of how many vertical shots you take. This will tell you if you need to save up for the prism or not. You will never regret having both the WLF and the prism. Later, if you find you make a large number of vertical shots, then plan on packing the prism with you.

I aslo have problems using my 645 vertically, so I simply use it horizontally and crop the photo later. Yes, I lose much of the negative, but I generally am doing this for me and not a paying customer. I am willing to live with that.

Bob E.

15. alexfoto

alexfoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you all, i stay with wlf.