Weston Dipolma Parchment

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by coriana6jp, Jul 30, 2009.

1. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi All,

I was just curious if anyone has had any experience with the Butler Dearden Weston Dipolma Parchment - Pat Pal paper. Until now my paper has been Arches Platine, but as of late my local (Tokyo) dealer doubled the price to nearly $15US a sheet for 22x30". They have the Weston paper instock for 1/4 the price. I have never used or even seen it.

I can get the Arches paper from B&S at half the local cost but considering the weight of the paper, shipping it over here would likely save me nothing.

I am doing mostly Kallitypes and ocassionally PT/PD.

Thanks!
    Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
  2. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was using Crane's Platinotype from B&S and unfortunately it was discontinued. I tried Diploma Parchment - it was okay but not like the Crane's. I also tried Bergger COT - it was also okay and a good weight. I switched to Arches Platine when they started carrying it and it is very close to the Crane's Platinotype. The Weston paper just didn't match the others quality and did not have the wet strength. I print PT/PD/AU but not Kallitypes. I have typical images in APUG Portfolios - Jeffrey Glasser
    Jeffreyg

3. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I would suggest that you try a small batch of the Westons paper. It completely changed a short while ago and is not as workable as it used to be.

4. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can speak only for the old stock, it was fine for POP Pd BUT:
    (a) The paper's wet strength is weak, I don't recommend processing sheets larger than 11x14". (That is w/o any special/delicate handling method.)
    (b) The surface is easily abraded; you have to be delicate while brushing and processing.
    (c) The paper seems to change color after processing. (Before: warm, after: colder, more neutral...)
    Hope this helps,
    Loris.

5. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks All!! I just checked with BS and the price of the paper even shipped internationally is cheaper than buying it locally. So I gues I am going to continue with Arches Plantine for now, though at a much higher price.

Thanks all.

Gary

6. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dpurdy (Dennis) knows the facts Gary. Arches is a bit warm but consistent. At least you have some good Fuji lenses in your neighborhood :wink: and dare i say, no i shouldn't.

7. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Jan!

Gary