Wet Plate Collodion

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Kerik, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I posted my first two successful ambrotypes in the experimental gallery, if you wanna check them out.

Kerik

2. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great images Kerik. I'm waiting on my darkroom box. When it arrives, We will have to head out into the field.

3. livemoa

livemoa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where did you get the back for the Masterview? I have been thinking about doing some wetplate work myself.

By the way, nice work!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2004
  4. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you. I gotta say, this is really fun and I'm excited to really put it to use.

I did not get a wetplate back for the Masterview. Instead, I converted an 8x10 film holder to hold plates. I posted 2 images of it in the technical gallery (darkslides removed, of course). It's really simple. Cut out an opening to whatever plate size you want with a jig saw and a steady hand. File and sand the rough edges. I then cut out 4 triangles from the piece of aluminum that I cut from the holder and epoxied one at each corner of the opening to support the plate. To hold the plate in place I use a spring from a Nielsen frame between the backside of the plate and the darkslide. So far this is working great and much easier than building an entire wet plate back. I did have a wet plate back made for my old 11x14 Korona, but I have not used it yet. Still getting my chops together with the smaller size before I move up. I am itching to make 11x14 one-of-a-kind tintypes and ambrotypes in the field...

Best,
    Kerik

5. Ray Bidegain

Ray Bidegain Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Kerik:

How are you making the scans of the ambrotypes that you are posting?

Ray Bidegain

6. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ray,

Just using my flatbed scanner. These ambros were done on very dark ruby glass and I scan them just like a print. Works pretty well...

Kerik