Wet Plate in Brighton apparently 25-26 Oct

Discussion in 'UK All Regions' started by Akki14, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    http://www.photofringe.org/exhibiton_listings.php?e=22

"The Darkvan is an immersive tool that features a mobile photographic darkroom for the practice of Wet Collodion photography and Super 8 development. During our stay on the Brighton Seafront we will be producing 18 x 20” negative plates for printing and exhibition and holding an evening Super 8 screening.2

Anyone up for a little APUG meet in Brighton on the beach? :D

2. snallan

snallan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That looks well worth a visit.

3. gr82bart

gr82bart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the link Heather. I'd be up for a meet, if it were Brighton Beach in Brooklyn! Have fun. I think Bill Schwab or Joe Smieglitz (?) has one of those types of vans too. Great idea. Tell that guy to join APUG when you meet up.

Regards, Art.

4. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bill has a dedicated trailer and I have a converted Class-C motorhome. Kerik has a truck with camper, Quinn has a minivan, and Robb Kendrick has a large trailer devoted to wetplate. Lots of people work out of the back of SUVs.

5. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You're all on a different continent though! This is a neat opportunity for us UK people to see what you guys do :smile:

6. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was down in brighton this weekend to see Mike Ware as he has an exhibition on as part of the 'Fringe', was well worth going to see him and his work at the Brighton Media centre, bought a couple of his stunning Cyanotype prints too which i am so pleased with. The wet plate event sounds most interesting i will definately think about going down again.

7. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Heather, which day are you thinking of going down to Brighton? I'd be interested.

8. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

I was hoping there'd be a definite opinion either way after more people notice and say if they're busy/free on either of the days. I'm free both days... tho might have a minor preference for Sunday.

Dave - Did you go on Saturday or did we somehow manage to miss each other completely on Friday? I went down there as well :D

9. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    This sounds interesting. I'm free both days at the moment but also have a slight preference for Saturday (mainly because I don't trust trains on a Sunday).

10. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I believe that I can make either day. But I'll confirm for sure tomorrow for I don't have my diary with me now.
    I'd be taking the train from London.

11. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hurrah for train rides to the seaside!

12. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A bit more information, with a Network Railcard, the same-day return ticket from London should be around £12.

And as mentioned before, The Siderotype Gallery will be open that weekend too, so you can visit the pretty cyanotypes, chrystotypes, etc.

Looking at the map again, we can easily walk from the station, do a little detour to go past the Pavillion to take pictures of the pretty domes, then carry on to the Dark Van. Then if people want, walk to Siderotype Gallery which is kind of in the opposite direction but quite near the beach/prom.

Editing to add, this will be an open event, anyone who wants to join us can, I'll try to organise some sort of timetable.

I've decided I want to move to Brighton, the weekend before (18/19th) is the end of Chocolate Week in Brighton :surprised: )

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
  13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

You're right. Those Sunday trains trick you into going the wrong way then steal your lunch money!

I will have to see if I am allowed out to play that weekend. I'm already going away this weekend so.... twice in one month.... could be possible!

Either Saturday or Sunday would be o.k. for me. I will risk those pesky trains playing tricks on me whichever day it is.

Steve.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looked at diary, can do either day. This said, there seem to be a voiced preference for Saturday.

16. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    But I already live near the sea!

Steve.

17. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've checked Southern Trains website and vaguely saw something about works near Brighton on the Sunday, so Saturday it is (Ian was right, those nasty trains do weird things on Sundays!).

18. Davec101

Davec101 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Heather, i went down saturday and sunday, boy was it windy, nearly got blown into the sea!
    I am free on the saturday so all things being well I will head down there again to see some wetplates being made. Would love to start doing some wetplates but it seems the chemicals are hard to find for us living in Blighty.

19. Stan160

Stan160 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm free on Saturday 25th. Still not managed to get started with alt-processes, this might be the extra inspiration I need!

Ian

20. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Heather,

Have you got an idea about timing? at what time is it in Brighton? I'll look up the train timetable.

Best

Dee

21. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    i think meeting up by the seaside at the dark van around 2-3pm (somewhere in that range depending on train times and ability to walk from station etc) sounds good. It's an all day thing from what I can tell but I assume they mean daylight hours :wink:

22. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was hoping to make it to Brighton, but I realize now that it is doubtful that I will be well enough to make it on Saturday as I displaced a rib recently and I am having a slower recovery than I had expected.:rolleyes:

Do report back on your visit !

Dee

23. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm sorry to hear that Dee :sad: I'll be happy to report back what happens.
    I have a bit of a cold but have decided I'm going to drag myself to Brighton any which way I have to :D Doesn't matter how much time it might take me or how many cold remedies I have to take, I'm going! I'm still aiming to be there around 2 (though I might try to get to Brighton a bit earlier so I can go have pie and mash for lunch at Pokeno Pies :D)

24. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've made a helpful little map. I hope it works.
    google maps map of brighton I've added my recommendations for food/chocolate :wink: It looks kind of far on the map but it's not really, just give yourself some time. Brighton's really pretty if you like the semi-derelict paint-peeling looking so don't forget the cameras.

25. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The dark van was really cool! The camera is very awesome. If anyone is in the area and doesn't have anything to do tomorrow, I highly recommend visiting it.

26. SeamusARyan

SeamusARyan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'd just like to echo Heather's words and say a big thank you to Heather for the heads up on the event

hopefully one day we might see a print of us on the beach, did I miss anything after I had to leave?