What 135mm enlarging lens would you buy?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Bruce Osgood, Mar 28, 2004.

What 135mm enlarging lens would you buy?

1. El Nikor

95.2%
  2. Schnider Componon S

4.8%
  3. Rodenstock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking to buy 135mm enlarging lens for 4X5 negs. with Omega D5 XL/Chromega II head. Considering:

El Nikor
    Schnider Componon S
    Rodonstock.

2. DrPhil

DrPhil Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've had all three brands at one time or another. My choice is a close race between a Componon S and an EL Nikkor. I currently have a 300mm Componon S that I really like. However, my 150mm El nikkor still seems tops to my eye. Either would serve you fine.

I once had a Rodenstock Rodagon 150mm. After I got the El Nikkor my prints seemed to have alot more snap. Perhaps the El Nikkor is a better design? Somebody here has to know.

3. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I own all three brands albeit not in that focal length. I really like my El Nikkor 150 for 4X5.

4. harveyje

harveyje Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have 50, 80, and 135mm El-Nikkors. My only experience is with them but I have no complaints. If there is a problem with my prints it is most likely due to the printer, not the enlarger or the lenses.

5. fingel

fingel Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had both the 135mm componon-s and the el nikkor 135mm. I sold the componon-s and kept the nikkor. The nikkor just seemed sharper to me.

6. Deckled Edge

Deckled Edge Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Many printers recommend a longer focal length than "normal" for printing, and I am one of them. I went from a 135 Raptar to 135 Componar to 135 Componon-S, then settled with a 150mm Componon-S. The Schneider lens is very sharp. I have no Nikkor to compare it with, however. In most cases, "it's the Indian, not the arrow."

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've also had all three in various focal lengths. EL-Nikkors do seem to have more contrast and Componon-S looks a little smoother. I eventually traded my small and medium format enlarging lenses for Apo-Rodagons (50mm and 90mm), which are excellent, though I haven't compared them to Apo-Componons. I use a 135mm Rodagon for 4x5", and it seems to be a pretty decent lens, but I'd be tempted to upgrade to an Apo-Rodagon, preferably 150mm instead of 135mm, if one were to come along at a good price.

8. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Rodagon certainly has the coverage, I use a 180mm for 5x7". I rarely bother to swap it for hte 150mm when printing 4x5".