What 8x10 Films?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by wildbillbugman, Dec 12, 2010.

1. wildbillbugman

wildbillbugman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hello to All,
    In view of the demise of TMX AND TMY IN 8X10, aside from digital negatives, what are people using to make prints of Pt/Pd;Gum/dichromate;etc.?
    Bill

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Was TMX ever popular for that?

3. wildbillbugman

wildbillbugman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    ic-racer,
    Yes. Before KODAK, in its divine wisdom, started putting a UV Blocker in it.
    Bill

4. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ilford FP4+ and Efke 100 have been my favorites, never got past them to try any of the Kodak films.

If you want a 400 speed film, can't help there since I don't use them..but would guess Ilford would work there as well

5. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ilford HP5+ 400 is available in sheets.

6. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    HP5+ is correctly available in 8x10 but is not very good for alternative processes such as Platinum Paladium. HP5+ does not build density as well as TMY, Efke100, and FP4+
    Delta 100 is a good choice to in addition to those mentioned.
    The now discontinued Foma pan 200 was also good for alternative processes.
    As far as 400Iso film there are none at the moment.

Edit, Foma recently released a 400Iso film in 8x10 but i have no experience with this film yet. Maybe someone on the forum can comment.

7. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Was just listing HP5+ as 400 ISO was mentioned. Delta 100 builds density very nicely.

8. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Graphic arts ("litho") film. It is cheap as dirt, it is versatile (gives different results in different developers), and it has as much density as one could possibly need.

9. Vaughn

Vaughn Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I noticed the same with HP5+ -- but I was always going to give it a try in D-19, and perhaps a staining developer might make it more useful for alt processes.

X-ray film is cheap and definitely can build up contrast. Takes careful handling (emulsion on both sides). The Agfa film I have seems to be about 400 ISO under the big blue sky, but seems to drop some when under the trees. I am not 100% sold on the stuff yet. I just happen to have about 300 sheets of it (14x17). I have been using it in a 7x17, and have done a few in 8x10.

Its slower, but I like FP4+ for both pt/pd and carbon.

Alas, Kodak Copy Film was a pleasure to use -- talk about building up density! I shot a box of Ilford copy film...nice also, but not quite the same thing.

Vaughn

10. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  11. Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I keep hearing/reading this, but I have to disagree. in ABC Pyro (and possibly in other staining developers as well) it can build extreme density. I have made a couple of vandyke prints from HP5+ negatives developed in ABC 1+1+1+7. One negative was too contrasty even for vandyke! I have no experience with platinum, but I understand it requires a contrast index somewhat lower than vandyke or salt prints, so I think that if HP5+ is good enough for vandyke it should be good enough for platinum.