What a find!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by cajuncc, Feb 11, 2013.

1. cajuncc

cajuncc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Roaming through an antiques mall the other day, I saw a beat up tan leather case with a Nikon logo on the front. The tag said "Vintage Nikon 35mm Camera, Case, Light meter." I'm thinking "cool! it's probably an old F or maybe F2." My heart about stopped when I opened the case and saw a Nikon SP in great condition. It has a W-Nikkor.C 2.8cm 1:3.5 lens attached.

So now I'm the proud owner of a Nikon rangefinder. From what I can tell, everything works beautifully. The shutter speeds from 1s-1/30 all sound like they're properly timed. There are no odd sounds or anything. Film transport is all working. The rangefinder works. There's a black yarn-looking light seal along the top edge of the camera where the back slots in, but no seals I can see on the sides or bottom. I'm assuming this is normal.

Anything else I should check out before I toss a roll in it and give it the ultimate test?

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Boy some people have a tough life.

Welcome to APUG!

3. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nice find! I make it a point to have a look in the antique stores once in a while. I've gotten, on separate trips, a Pentax S2 Super with several Super-Takumar lenses ($75), a Novoflex 105mm bellows lens ($25), and a Mamiya 50mm f/3.5 macro lens ($25). I've also seen lots of obscure cameras that I have no reason to buy but enjoy seeing, nonetheless.

None of that tops a Nikon SP with a lens, however. I'm jealous!

4. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm curious. If you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay?

Ken

5. cajuncc

cajuncc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm almost afraid to admit this for fear of a gang of APUGers with torches and pitchforks, but I paid $100 for the camera, lens, leather case, and an old selenium cell light meter.

6. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I take it that there are faster speeds and that you haven't tested these because it is the slow speeds that are normally suspect? Just a thought

pentaxuser

7. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great heavens! I've had some decent finds in antique stores, but nothing remotely close to this. Enjoy it!

-NT

8. cajuncc

cajuncc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No, I just "tested" the slower speeds by listening to the shutter sound. I've got a pretty good feel for what the slower speeds sound like. I won't be able to truly test any of the speeds until I run a roll through it though. The faster speeds there's no way I could tell "by ear."

9. illumiquest

illumiquest Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awesome find, that's why I keep going back to antique shops despite my 1-100 find ratio :wink:

10. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nah, we aren't that bad... are we that bad?

I'd say you got a fair deal.:wink:

11. dnjl

dnjl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    He found a bargain! Burn him at the stake and confiscate his earthly belongings!

Naah, we're not that evil. Great deal, enjoy that camera!

12. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Super find , If its a Nikon from 50s , I have a Popular Photography Yearly from 56 plus 58 and some photographs even better than Leica. Super lens and very expensive today.

13. Peter Simpson

Peter Simpson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Congratulations on your good fortune! (and inquisitive nature)

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. tessar

tessar Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awesome findf, especially with that 2.8 cm lens!

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where did you find this gem? We all want to descend on the store!

17. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Would you like to double your money? I'll even pay shipping and PayPal fees. Oh, and kick in 3% for APUG.

18. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations!
    Certainly beats my antique mall finds.

19. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congrats... always dream of finding a garage sale/pawn shop bargain.

However I only have a story of woe... years ago my wife and I drove 2000kms (one way!) to help her parents clean up/out her great Aunts house and belongings after she had been moved to a high care home. Amongst the years of junk was an early Leica of some sort. Although I knew it was something 'special' it got put in a box and that was the last I saw of it. Various trinkets got distributed to family members but that camera never surfaced again :sad:

20. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great find!

Jeff

21. M Carter

M Carter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been having a sort of lust affair with the old Canon SLRs - the FTQL just feeling like some primitive art to me. I've found it's the fast speeds that die - the shutter curtain can no longer keep up. Which is a drag, wanting it as a walkaround camera with fast film.

Might have to look into those Mamiya SLRs that use the pentax screw mount... those are pretty too. Unless I can find a Voigtlander Vitomatic... now that's a beautiful camera and I love the size.

22. cajuncc

cajuncc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So of course, getting a great deal isn't enough for me. Now I'm scouring ebay looking for lenses and all sorts of other goodies... I've already gotten a BC-5 flash gun and I'm starting to look at picking up a 5cm f/1.4 (or possibly the voigtlander 5cm f/1.5, depending on price and such) and a 13.5cm f/3.5.

Overall, the thing is pure joy to shoot with. I find myself picking it up just to handle it and examine it.

23. M Carter

M Carter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I find that to be perfectly acceptable and expected behavior! It's really a joy to think about the age of an "antique" camera, wonder what sort of things have been seen through its viewfinder, how many thousands of images it may have made... and still be using it vs. having another knick-knack on display. (I am the same way about old guitars... two very dangerous interests to have!)

Isn't it odd though - for years, running around with an old metal SLR would lead people to say "He must be really broke! Digital is so cheap now!" Or "Can't you afford a smart phone?"

It's swung around now, to where an old-school camera is getting a "coolness" factor. And don't Fuji and Leica make digitals that have some of a classic rangefinder look?

24. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ive never reallypaid attention to the nikon rangefinders. I just looked at the sale prices and they are all ove the place. Is the SP a good model?

25. Someonenameddavid

Someonenameddavid Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    SP is great, so good that Nikon did a limited run in 2000

26. Jim Rice

Jim Rice Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The SP was Nikon's best and last RF. Its a $1000us camera easily. I always lusted for one but the closest I ever got was an S, which was pretty damn nice.