What a waste -- moldering Rolleis and a Leica

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Trask, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    So I'm in a local antique store looking at some old cameras (specifically, a Miranda Sensorex) when two guys walk behind me, one saying to the other, "Hey, should buy some of these." "No," the other guy says, "I've got a bunch of Rolleiflexes sitting at home already."

I couldn't resist asking "Do you ever use them?"

He went on to tell me that he has eight Rolleis that are sitting in a closed wooden cabinet, sitting upright in the foam of a Halliburton case. I suggested he pull them out and put them to use, as they're too nice and useful to be left just sitting. "I collect guitars, too," he said, "but I don't have time to play them either." He then said that a nice German lady had given him her husband's Leica, a "real nice old one made around 1940" with telephoto and case.

"If you saw it, you'd say 'Wow, what a nice camera!'"

"No," I said, "I'd ask you if you wanted to sell it."

He didn't take the bait, wandered off without giving this waste of good German technology another thought. Left me wondering about all the other people out there who hold onto cameras (or stereo tube amps) that could be making beautiful images or music, but they can't be bothered to use them.

2. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Oh well, they are just gear.

3. Terry Christian

Terry Christian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is what I love about old cameras: wondering about what sorts of memories it captured when it was bought, and allowing it to "sing" once more.

4. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Very Sad, These cameras were made to be used, not just displayed, I too collect classic cameras, and every one in my collection gets used for what it was made for, taking,I hope, great photographs,
    Richard

5. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have rather a lot of cameras (too many probably...)

My firm belief is that they should all be used for taking pictures as often as possible...

But if I'm honest - 'real life' gets in the way of my hobbies and interests far too much for my liking and, whilst my attitude is quite different to the 'collector' you mention, the sad reality is that most of my cameras haven't probably had any much use than his.

It isn't about not being bothered, it is about time and not having enough of it :sad:

Oh well.... when I retire :wink:

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    At least the intent is there.

Steve.

7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When the man walked away did your BS detector start to buzz?
    There's always someone that can do you one better(in his mind)

8. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Talk about loving something to death... Letting a camera sit and rot, rather than using it, is indeed such a waste. To me, there is no camera too nice to use. It would be like saying a Stradivarius violin is too nice to play. Unless it is being played, the beautiful tones are unheard. The same goes for cameras. Unused, the violin is a hunk of wood. Unused, the cameras are but pieces of metal and glass.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.790889,-90.481042

9. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A couple of years ago at the PHSNE auction, there was an 11x14 kodak studio camera with three backs, two lenses and a semi-centennial stand. All of it was in vey good, quite usable condition. The person who bought it has it installed in her living room "with the other one" and refuses to think about it as a tool. It looks nice. (?!!!) It went for less that $250. I had to leave the auction before it came up and have kicked myself ever since, and asked her if she wants to sell it every time I see her. No go so far, but I can always hope...

10. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Back in high school, a guy in my Savannah, GA neighborhood had an amazing vintage 60s convertible Jaguar, one of the two seaters, super sexy car.

He spent years turning down offers to sell it, and just as many years telling everyone how he was going to restore it one day. It slowly turned into a moldy, rusting pile of goo, much to the dismay of the neighbors, as it was permanently parked in the front yard. :laugh:

11. billbretz

billbretz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't think of them as not being used, think of them as in reserve.

I don't have a problem with people not using gear. They'd probably only make bad pictures, anyway, if they have no heart or talent in it.

I have a contrarian view toward the camera collector. I believe they provide demand that keeps companies like Leica and C/V-Bessa making cameras and preserve for future users other gear. How many old large format cameras would have been junked long ago if they didn't look pretty? Now and then they will fall into the right hands and given a chance to be used after resting for a few decades.