What annoys you in the darkroom....

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by kb244, Oct 29, 2006.

1. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For me... Its having to kill a couple of hornest every couple of weeks while i'm in the middle of development, or happen to see the hornet right when i need to pour out the developer.

either that or

The washer turns on when I mentioned i'm going to be developing, and the water cant make it warmer than 60F lol (during the summer, if i just turn on the cold water, it was always exactly 68F/20C, course its winter now).

2. Imke

Imke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Me putting down my cell phone right next to the enlarger and forgetting to turn it over on its face and it ringing and the display lighting up the room just as I pull a piece of paper out of the box ... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2006
  3. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's too small. :sad:

(It's too dark, too, but then ...) :rolleyes:

4. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Other people playing there music too loud!

5. livemoa

livemoa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... not having one .....

6. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The fact my mum keeps telling me I cant have one in my closet.
    Lack of space for one, I suppose.

7. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Mine is in mid-pour of the developer into the stainless steel tank, and a mosquito lands on my nose or neck or forehead. Arrgh!:mad:

8. matti

matti Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really should add a sink and running water. The pipes are all there so... If I did that I didn't have to carry water and chemicals around the house.

/matti

9. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Nice to know I'm not the only one. I even have a sink ready...

10. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Lack of aircon, lack of a CD player, lack of good ventilation, lack of ability...!

11. matti

matti Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not that I don't lack ability as well. But what annoys me more is my impatience. I must plan my work before I enter my darkroom. Becauce when I am there, I become this kid in a candystore... And just rush around doing stuff, without thinking.
    /matti

12. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Nothing!

I love it there.
    It is a set of tools that allows me to do what I have wanted to do for a long time. It is a place where I learn to do new and hopefully better things. Some times the tools don't work correctly. Sometimes the operator doesn't work correctly, but it is all part of the learning process.
    I love it there.

John Powers

13. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm one of the fortunate ones, I have a darkroom with everything I need. What I find particularly annoying is anyone coming to the door with a question or a phone call. It is a separate building in the back yard. This weekend my son needed to ask if I would run him on an errand (while measuring some developer), lost track due to time questions and had to dump the mix and start over. I intentionally don't have a phone plugged in, to avoid interruptions. Need to re-state my policy of "If I'm in there, do not disturb." tim

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The fact that it is never done, and always in a state of flux... For instance, I have added a second Beseler 45M that has a 45A head (for the new adventures in color). But the enlarger bench is torn down to make changes that will accomodate two, so.... Before that is even done, a fortuitous gift of some high-end benches and drawers will cause a complete reconstruction of the presentation side, making a real working space for the dry mount press and mat cutter. At this rate, I ought to be back in and working by spring...

16. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Not in the darkroom per se (a bathrooom in my case) but finding the time to get in there is the biggest pain I have.

- Randy

17. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ditto since mine is a windowless bathroom as well, theres more chemicals in there than there are wife's materials. Fortunatly i only have to worry if my wife is feeling like dying her hair, otherwise the bathroom is fair game.

18. ijsbeer

ijsbeer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My darkroom is going to be alive the first part of november. about that i'm having only thinking fun of how cool it will be to have one of my own. but it annoys me that I can't choose wich paper to buy for my first prints and what developer and on and on. think i'm going to the nearest store and look what they have in stock.

greets
    ijsbeer

19. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only thing that annoys me about my darkroom is that I do not instantly transform into a world-class printer when I step inside it! :wink: I mean, come on! Superman has his phone booth, Batman has the Bat Cave... all I want is to step into the darkroom & become Super BWGirl!!! :D

20. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ...getting tickled in the dark...
    I mean you are there in the darkness, minding your own business, printing and all and suddently a mean bastard puts finds your sensitive spots and make your drop your trays, negs and tongs all over the place.
    God I hate them.
    I wonder how they get in too, since the door doesn't open without a key...
    Damn gnomes.

21. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Jeanette - Have you tried putting your pants on outside your trousers? :D

Well, I think you're super, anyway...!

Ari - Sorry 'bout that. Won't happen again...

22. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Annoy? Way too strong a word for me. I couldn't be much happier, but a little refrigerator (and enough room to house it) would help as would a second LLP digital timer for the 'other' enlarger. Now that's being waaaaay too self indulgent I know, but hey...you asked!

23. Digidurst

Digidurst Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like BWGirl, the only thing that annoys me about my darkroom is that its existence does not one thing for my printing abilities. Otherwise, I love it... It has a sink (with running water!), a nice stereo, a beautiful window that can be opened to reveal nice light for non-darkroom activities like amateur beading. In fact, I don't even call my darkroom a darkroom but a studio. It's a fantastic creative space :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2006
  24. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Damn phone. Don't realize that I'm home alone (kids are usually gone) and forget to bring the phone in with me. Calls are always for the kids anyway; except when I don't answer. Getting cold in there now, going to get a lot colder. I usually just heat it up with a small heater. I am going to insulate that part of my basement in the next two weeks. I think I have said this before...

25. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The fact that my basement stayed between 66 and 72 Fahrenheit for the decade or so before I put in a darkroom, so I didn't put in A/C when I remodeled. The city did require adding insulation, however, so the cool ground no longer dissipates the heat that collects in the summer. So between summer heat, insulation, and the presence of a frig, wine cooler, and dehumdifier, the temp range is now 70 to 82 and stays around 80 from June to early October. I may have to add a free-standing A/C unit next summer.

The only other annoyance is that it doubles as a laundry room, so dust is a constant battle.

26. highpeak

highpeak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Constantly seeing the floating face of the little boy from "the Grudge" and put the film in stopper first, the least but not the last, it's too small.